CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CBR vs Katana

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Bike To Choose?

i would go with the cbr just for the fact that not only is it a great starter bike its a bike you can keep n do a little work on n get compliments on .i thought i was gonna get rid of my f3 after a season or two now i am goin to keep it n take it to the track .

Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 AM

Go with the CBR you won't be disapointed!! My first bike was my F3, and after a few weeks I was completley comfortable on it. Iwould have been very upset if I would have bought an intermidiate bike first just to learn on.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea go f3...like its been stated before, the katana is UGGGGGGGGGGGGLYYYYYYYYYYY

Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 AM

CBR all the way, you cannot go wrong mate.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Banned

The question wasn't regarding the performance difference of the two bikes. I think anyone with a day of experience on a motorcycle could break that one down.

Of course the F3 is going to outperform. It's liquid-cooled, lighter by probably 40lbs. and a redline of about 13,400RPM's. The Katanas got what, 8K RPM's before redline? The handlebars of the Katana are up and inyour face, while the F3 is much more aggresive. In fact, clip-on height of the F3 is about one inch higher than the seat, for a total of 34 inches from the ground. The difference on the Katana is huge in comparison. I don't claim to know their actual numbers, but I've seen them and it looks like they have risers on the triple clamp. Probablty 3 or 4 inches in height difference. There's no discussion here.

The question was, for his first bike, what should he get...

If the Katana is dirt cheap, get it. If it's not dirt cheap (more than $2,250 for an 04 and older), pass on it and buy the Honda. Not only will the Honda outlast the comparitively abused Katana, it will outperform it once you get in your groove.

Take it slow and easy, whatever you get and use your head. You'll be fine.

(Buy the Honda).

Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Actually, the Katana's motor redlines at 11k, it's a pretty bulletproof motor, and both bikes should be equally reliable. One thing about the Katana's motor, if it's the same as in the Bandit 600, then it's going to be more peaky compared to the F3. My sister has one and the power band hits a lot harder than my F3.

Really it all comes down to what you want in a bike. The F3 is lighter and more sporty, but it's also less comfortable than the Katana. Katana will also be a bit more top heavy. F3 will be faster, but that all depends on the capabilities of the rider. A good rider could make a Katana rediculously fast, so it's not like it can't perform. But lets face it, very few people can reach the limit of ANY bike.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i had an f3 for my 1st bike and looking back i wouldnt change that for anything . f3 still holds good resale value and they arent that bad looking (get a 97,98 model or atleast convert the tail over). im sure the katana holds it weight but when it comes down to it you see wayyy more cbr's anything f1,f2,f3 on the road than a katana and there is a reason why

good luck with your decision

Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Default RE: CBR vs Katana

thank you for the feedback....unfourtunately, the F3 has been sold. I'll keep searching...

Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Default RE: CBR vs Katana

If your getting a sportbike because you want something quick and fun then definitly don't get a Katana. Id honestly rather ride a ninja 250r. A F3 is a great beginner bike if you take it easy for a while in the beginning.

The bottom line is that there really is no reason to get a katana ever, unless you get it for free I guess. Theres just so many better options out there for that price range.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Have to go with the CBR...Just bought a 97 CBR 600 for $1800...so they can get cheaper. But 3K for a nice looking one is really good

I would like to see someone ona CBR forum say they would get a Katana over a CBR...haha

Quick Reply: CBR vs Katana