CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CBR F3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR F3 questions

Hey everyone, So I bought a 97 CBR F3 that was in pieces.. anyhow i put it back together with the help of google lol.. anyhow, ill run you though my issue and exactly what i did.. So once i put the bike together and knew it was correct, i filled it with gas, (E 86 and this might be my problem after reading on) Anyhow the Bike fires up easily, and cruises easily. But it has some lag when im at an at a stand still. I twist the throttle and it lags a bit then quickly cranks up... I think its one of three things or all of the above LOL... Im guessing i need a new spark plug *used one it came with* I put regular gas in it and i read afterwords that it HAS to have premium gas.. OR i need the carbs rebuilt. (Something i wont do myself)... any thoughts??
Anyway this is the story of the bike, it was a young ladies bike and she dropped it... Judging by the rash on the bike she was going very slowly if moving at all... it just has some minor scrapes on what plastic i got with it, hardly even removed the decals. Anyway I'm guessing she either got a new bike or was afraid to ride again and this thing sat... So her husband/Bf at the time took it apart.. And did god knows what to it.. The bike was lowered with a home made (Very dangerous looking) Dog bone as well as pushed the forks down. Thats all fixed and its back to its original height. So i guess what I'm getting at is, is there anything else you guys could advise me to check on?? I'm not an experienced rider or bike mechanic. I had a motorcycle for a few years but it was a 77 honda 550 so not even the same type of machine LOL.. and what mechanic skills i have come from working on cars. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Before I forget, the rear tire has a plug in it.. I have every intention to get a new tire, but do you think the plug is a bad thing?? can i drive it to the dealer to put a new tire on it or should i truck it there? Im guessing the plug was put in someplace around 2006, as thats the last time this thing was on the road. Anyway thanks a bunch for reading through my mumbles and random thoughts.. Talk to you later
Mark

Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 PM

please dont ride the bike with a plug in the rear tire. i would remove the wheel and tire at your house and drop it off at the shop. buy a repair manual and some tools. its good to know how to do work on your own bike, save you a lot of money

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by colorado_steve
please dont ride the bike with a plug in the rear tire. i would remove the wheel and tire at your house and drop it off at the shop. buy a repair manual and some tools. its good to know how to do work on your own bike, save you a lot of money
Yea I've gotten a crash course on how to work on these bikes LOL. See the plug in the back tire part, I've asked that question to several people... both with different answers LOL.. some say dont worry about it, others say hell no LOL.. so to stay on the safe side, I agree i think ill remove the tire... or at best trailer it there.... What do you think about the Lagging??? any thoughts... Side note Nice bike looks good.. I dont think my fat A$$ would look good on it LOL... hell im to big for my bike but couldnt pass up the offer.. anyway thanks for the advice..

Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Lots of opinions on the rear tire but honestly the cost will be less if you take them the rim off the bike and safer to boot especially since the tire is 6 years old. I would drain the E85 and put fresh gas in her.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 PM

drain the tank, put fresh gas in her. you dont need premium, many people run on regular, i always put 89 in mine.
as for the tires, take them off the bike and to a dealer, even if the tire wasnt patched i wouldnt feel safe riding on 6 year old rubber.
and as steve said, get some tools (if you dont already) and do as much work yourself as you can. would be wise to get some front and rear stands as well, makes working on it that much easier.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
drain the tank, put fresh gas in her. you dont need premium, many people run on regular, i always put 89 in mine.
as for the tires, take them off the bike and to a dealer, even if the tire wasnt patched i wouldnt feel safe riding on 6 year old rubber.
and as steve said, get some tools (if you dont already) and do as much work yourself as you can. would be wise to get some front and rear stands as well, makes working on it that much easier.
Okay sounds like a plan, what i did to put most of the bike together was hoist it into the air with straps..and a come along lol.
Side note, anyone know why i cant get to my profile on this forum, says i dont have the permission to do anything on this site, and every post says it has to be approved by a Moderator? this could be a normal thing I'm just new to the forum thing... Only other forum I'm in is a fish aquarium one LOL and it wasnt like this... anyway leme know thanks

Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You surely don't need to run premium in the bike. Your issue with the slight stall can be a couple things, dirty carbs, PO messed with the carbs settings, dirty air filter, and worn plugs. It also could be a combo of these too.
I agree on new rubber as tires do have a shelf life. You can patch-plug a tire, just as long as the plug includes a patch. I did have a staple puncture my tire and I wasn't able to repair it due to the repairs being too close to each other. I've also had tires that I can't repair because a GIANT sheet metal screws made a puncture that was just too big to repair.

High-Performance Dunlop Motorcycle Tires

"12 - Tire Repair

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any instructions to the repaired-tire user.

Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident."

Last edited by marc0011; 09-19-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by marc0011
You surely don't need to run premium in the bike. Your issue with the slight stall can be a couple things, dirty carbs, PO messed with the carbs settings, dirty air filter, and worn plugs. It also could be a combo of these too.
I agree on new rubber as tires do have a shelf life. You can patch-plug a tire, just as long as the plug includes a patch. I did have a staple puncture my tire and I wasn't able to repair it due to the repairs being too close to each other. I've also had tires that I can't repair because a GIANT sheet metal screws made a puncture that was just too big to repair.

High-Performance Dunlop Motorcycle Tires

"12 - Tire Repair

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any instructions to the repaired-tire user.

Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident."
Thanks Marc0011, I think you guys are all correct. So my plans for the winter include, tune up. (least what i call a tune up) plugs wires new air filter clean the carbs. as well as a new set of tires. thanks for all the advice guys.. as im no bike mechanic i just kind of matched pictures to pieces LOL so any advice is appreciated. I also found a set of tires but i think im going to pass.. they are Shinko (spelling) and the reviews on them say they want to slide all the time..... As i said before im not new to riding a motorcycle.. however I would'nt dare call myself experienced. The ride i had was a very old 550 honda.. so a whole new ball game with this bike.. So my plans are to treat it like ive never been on a bike before and attempt to learn everything new.. I would really prefer to not have my name in the fallen members section. Anyway thanks a bunch!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by SevenNoOni
Okay sounds like a plan, what i did to put most of the bike together was hoist it into the air with straps..and a come along lol.
Side note, anyone know why i cant get to my profile on this forum, says i dont have the permission to do anything on this site, and every post says it has to be approved by a Moderator? this could be a normal thing I'm just new to the forum thing... Only other forum I'm in is a fish aquarium one LOL and it wasnt like this... anyway leme know thanks
thats how mine was when i got new tires, looked like it was stuck in a spider web lol.