CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

cbr 600f3 issues please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr 600f3 issues please help!

i have a 1995 cbr 600 f3. last season my battery kept dieing out, so i replaced my stator and also battery. i just got it back together and started and ran well. i rode it for maybe an hour and i lost power.
when i turn the key i get lights and turn signal but thats it. when i hit the start button nothing happens no clicking or motor turn. i thought it might be the stator draining my battery but it still was 90% charged.
what would make it die while riding? i cant even get the motor to turn... please help! thanks bill a

Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Clean and check your battery terminals. That's quick and easy to do. Stators don't go bad that often, but the Regulator/Rectifier's go bad regularly (pun intended) on Honda's. I'd check to see what voltage you're getting on the battery with engine at 3K to 5K RPM's.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Default my bike is killin me!

all my wiring connections seem to be ok at the battery. i cant check anything electrical because the bike wont even turn over. the button is on run and the kickstand is up and the key is on. ( i know people forget to do that!)
i was riding about 70mph and the bike just lost all power. once i stopped when i turn key the lights come on but thats it. wont crank over or get any clicking sound! thanks for helping bill a.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Can you provide a little more detail on how it died while you were riding it ? What was the sensation like ? Did it suddenly shut down as if you had turned off the ignition ? Did it seem like you ran out of gas, kind of like sputtering and slowly die ?

Based on what you've said so far we know the main fuse is good, otherwise you wouldn't even have headlights. Since it won't turn over, I'm going to figure it's related to either Fuse #2, it's a 10A fuse, or the Engine Stop switch located on the right Clip-On. That switch is responsible for providing power to the Starter Button and naturally onto the Starter Relay, as well as the ICM (Ignition Control Module), Air Vent Control Relay, and Fuel Cut Relay.

Something to try... turn the ignition key on, press and hold the Starter Switch on, and then rapidly flip the Engine Stop Switch from Run to Stop several times. If you get any response from the starter, then that Engine Stop Switch may have dirty contacts and just need cleaning. Broken solder joints are another common problem with the Starter Switch, although a bad starter switch would not have caused your bike to die while riding it.

Do you have a meter or a test light ? That would certainly help with troubleshooting if this turns out to be an electrical problem.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered Users

it sounds like the engine cut out on the handle bars to me that's the only thing i can think of that can cut the engan wile riding electrical wise

if your getting power and no tick over, try checking the voltage to the switch, it is a working wire so as long as the bike is turned on there should be power to it.

have you checked all your fuses you might have had a power surge that fried it. (on the fairings and under the seat are fuses but i think the main ones are in the right fairings

Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 AM

i know this is old..but i recently just had the same problem..(My thread

it started with hesitant starting (holding the button with intermittant starter engagement), and then cut out while i was riding..not to start since