CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

cbr 600 f3 problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr 600 f3 problem please help

Good day all

I need help here is my story.

Bought a cbr 600 f3 few months back. Bike drove like a dream lot of power all was well but bike was using a lot of feul around 6km pl when driving nicely. I decided to investigate and found that the feul **** was not properly screwed into tank and leaked the feul there. I cleaned the filter and and screwed it on properly. Tried starting it no luck after struggeling a found plugs was fouled so I replaced the plugs bike started and idles index refs up but under it wil sputter and die I thought the plug wires should be routed 1,3,2,4 but after reading up I realised it should be 2,3,1, bile has been standing for 1 month after working on it so yesterday I changed it to 2,3,1,4 cleaned the plugs and started right up but now it has an excessive lot of smoke white blueish couler, it will only start with choke full opened and it will idle fine but smokes a lot but the moment you push back the choke or touches the throttle it will die.

Before I swoped the plug wires three where no smoke and could ref it up but under load it dies left it for about 4 weeks until I could work on it and now it smokes. I know it could be headgasget or coolest in the chamber but why when I switched it off previous time there where no smoke and now it smokes doesn't make sense.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean it could be headgasket coolant etc. but that really is in an extreme case. Plus blueish smoke indicates engine oil burning more than it does coolant which is more white than blue. But before all of that I would lean towards some gunk and grime being sucked into the carbs. Its not uncommon for these to smoke and puff for a while to help clear the cobwebs if you know what I mean.

If it is indeed oil being burned causing the blue smoke, a compression test should help indicate if you are getting good compression from all four, it will at least tell you if your rings are in good nick.

Could be luck of the draw though. Things go bad sometimes. And maybe sucking a lot of dirt and stuff just made the situation worse. It really is hard to speculate not knowing the state of the bike. Mileage, condition etc.

Is the fuel old? Is your tank full of gunk? Sounds like the carbs got jammed up and its affecting the choke and or the operation of the carbs. Hows the service history? Done any work to the system otherwise? Need a bit more info here.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 01-08-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chris rohm
Good day all

I need help here is my story.

Bought a cbr 600 f3 few months back. Bike drove like a dream lot of power all was well but bike was using a lot of feul around 6km pl when driving nicely. I decided to investigate and found that the feul **** was not properly screwed into tank and leaked the feul there. I cleaned the filter and and screwed it on properly. Tried starting it no luck after struggeling a found plugs was fouled so I replaced the plugs bike started and idles index refs up but under it wil sputter and die I thought the plug wires should be routed 1,3,2,4 but after reading up I realised it should be 2,3,1, bile has been standing for 1 month after working on it so yesterday I changed it to 2,3,1,4 cleaned the plugs and started right up but now it has an excessive lot of smoke white blueish couler, it will only start with choke full opened and it will idle fine but smokes a lot but the moment you push back the choke or touches the throttle it will die.

Before I swoped the plug wires three where no smoke and could ref it up but under load it dies left it for about 4 weeks until I could work on it and now it smokes. I know it could be headgasget or coolest in the chamber but why when I switched it off previous time there where no smoke and now it smokes doesn't make sense.
i'd suggest covering a couple of the basics just for good house keeping, diagnostics is all just process of elimination.

so 1.

left coil is 1 & 4

right coil is 2 & 3

wire length should help indicate which is which i.e short is 1 long is 4, try and keep the ht leads from touching each other or anything metal.

it's almost always worthwhile giving carbs a clean and a check over.

if you're still having bother try unplugging the air solenoid valve to see if the bike is any different under load

//

rule those out in concession and then you'll have solid ground to stand on. just have to take it from there. obviously smell your exhaust fumes, that should also help give an indication of whats going on.

black smoke would be an indication of unburnt fuel (i.e if you're firing order was round the wrong way)

blue is oil and could be a handful of things but don't get ahead of yourself, just one thing at a time.

and best of luck (Y)