CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Can't seem to snake the siphon hose back through

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't seem to snake the siphon hose back through

I recently bought a bike that the previous owner of three years said he never changed the coolant on, so I figured I better change it before winter. Turns out it was a good idea as it's dark green and there are some particles in it. Anyways, I had to pull the siphon tube all the way from the right side of the bike out to the left to get it to drain. Now I can't seem to get it back on the insert below the radiator cap, it is still connected to the coolant reservoir, only it seems to come up short on the radiator side, any help would be appreciated as it will get below freezing tonight.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 PM

no idea how to delete my thread if at all possible, so please ignore this, I figured it out, I just got paranoid cause I wasn't sure if I could get it, and being in Wisconsin I didn't want the block to crack overnight

Old 11-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

It's not a problem that you put up a post, and then subsequently found a fix for it. So long as you update us with the results, it's all good. Someone in the future may search for something similar and your answer may help them to be a little more agressive with something. You just never know. The posts we don't like are those that a new member puts up, several members reply to it, and then you never hear from the author as to the results. You should never feel like you've posted a stupid question. We all started somewhere.

Welcome to the forum.

PS
Sorry you're putting your bike up for the winter, I'm thinking of riding to work tomorrow, forcast says mid to upper 70's.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for rubbing in the weather, I don't get to ride again until maybe March, gives me time to do some stuff the bike needs though, like brakes bled, air filter changed, valves checked, and if I'm really ambitious valves adjusted and carbs synchronized.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

I'm glad to hear that the bike will be getting some well deserved service. If you're going to do the brakes, why not take it a little further. Rebuild the brake callipers. It's easy to do, the seals are fairly inexpensive and it doesn't require any really special tools. The brake callipers are really just a big chunk of metal with a couple of holes drilled into it. The pistons can be pushed back in with just your hands. Something to think about anyway.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM

next time, u should use the coolant drain bolt. Right on the water pump... also you since the bike is pretty old. While you are doing regular maintence, u should drain the oil and check ur oil cooler. you said there are particles... sometime oil gets in ur coolant thru there

Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM

I did drain it from the drain plug, but on the f3 you have to drain the reserve tank with the siphon hose by hanging it down and filling the bottle until it has enough differential pressure to start the siphoning. Also I am planning on rebuilding the master cylinder atleast on the front since the front brake is kinda "steppy"