CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Can't keep my "new to me" F3 running

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't keep my "new to me" F3 running

Over the weekend I bought a 96 F3. It wasn't running when I bought it, and the guy that sold it to me said the carbs needed cleaned. When I got the bike home, I took the tank off and sprayed carb cleaner on the carbs and down the fuel line and got it to start a few times, but I can't keep it running. The longest I have had her running is about 15-20secs. After, I reconnected the fuel line to the petcock, thinking I would try with gas...Nothing. I then started thinking, maybe the petcock or the filter in the tank is clogged. So I took the tank back off and connected a tube to the petcock valve and ran it into a gas can, opened it in the down position like the manual says and Nothing. Shouldn't gas leak out if it is open?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedway
Over the weekend I bought a 96 F3. It wasn't running when I bought it, and the guy that sold it to me said the carbs needed cleaned. When I got the bike home, I took the tank off and sprayed carb cleaner on the carbs and down the fuel line and got it to start a few times, but I can't keep it running. The longest I have had her running is about 15-20secs. After, I reconnected the fuel line to the petcock, thinking I would try with gas...Nothing. I then started thinking, maybe the petcock or the filter in the tank is clogged. So I took the tank back off and connected a tube to the petcock valve and ran it into a gas can, opened it in the down position like the manual says and Nothing. Shouldn't gas leak out if it is open?
If the petcock has two lines to it, the larger one will be the fuel line and the other (smaller) a vacuum line that is connected to the inlet of the carbies. If it is that, it needs the carbies providing a vacuum to pull the diaphragm open in the petcock to allow the fuel to flow.

Pull the petcock out and make sure the filter in it isn't blocked.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the lines/filter are clear & petcock is on, open the gas cap & that fuel should flow...a vacuum is created if there's a good seal on that cap.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
If the petcock has two lines to it, the larger one will be the fuel line and the other (smaller) a vacuum line that is connected to the inlet of the carbies. If it is that, it needs the carbies providing a vacuum to pull the diaphragm open in the petcock to allow the fuel to flow.

Pull the petcock out and make sure the filter in it isn't blocked.

Cheers, SB
There are 2 nozzles on the pitcock and the bigger one was connected to the fuel line, however the smaller one didn't have any tubing connected to it going to the carbs. I am assuming from your post that this could be an issue. Any idea what size tubing fits the smaller inlet? Haven't had any luck finding it online.

Also anywhere to find a pic or diagram to see where it connects to the carbs?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM

SB, my savior Thank You So Much!

I'm a huge noob when it comes to bikes, but without a doubt I am definitely in the right place here for help! I sprayed some more carb cleaner into the carbs, connected the fuel line and the vacuum line to the carbs (thanks to SB) and BAM...my f3 not only starts, but stays running! I also went to my local honda dealership and purchased a service manual, $35 but I have a feeling it's going to be priceless in my efforts to learn my bike inside and out!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Maybe I spoke too soon...she won't start again. Doesn't even sound like it wants to fire, now all I get is backfires and fire coming out of the exhaust.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedway
Maybe I spoke too soon...she won't start again. Doesn't even sound like it wants to fire, now all I get is backfires and fire coming out of the exhaust.
Pull the spark plugs out to see what they look like? Maybe bad plugs....

Air + gas + fire = happy

Make sure all is balanced.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Pull the spark plugs out to see what they look like? Maybe bad plugs....
Thanks Estate! I pulled them and sure enough, this is what I found:

To me it seemed like the the black was not very wet, but it was slightly wet. So it seems that for dry black it was just lead fouled...BUT, for wet black my problem becomes oil fouled which is worn rings and pistons. I'm hoping that it isn't the latter, as that is a pretty decent sized job, from what I read. But, I replaced all 4 spark plugs with NGK Iridium IX CR9EHIX-9 plugs and she fired up instantly upon hitting the start button

Guys I am a review editor on a major PC hardware review site and we have a huge forum following with about at least 7K online at all times. Over there, I am the guy who helps out all the noobs...But, here my role is completely reversed, and I am a huge NOOB lol! When I get into something, I don't quit until I know all the ins and outs, and I can already tell after less than a week that my new motorcycle obsession will be completely dependent on the invaluable help I am getting here! It's different for me having the shoe on the other foot, but I really appreciate all the help I have gotten so far

Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM

i would still do a proper carb cleaning..where as spraying cleaner through the intake area really isnt doing much..
you need to pull the carbs off and actually clean the fuel side.
that entails pulling the float bowls, pulling the jets, and cleaning all of that out. the slow jets are normally the culrprit when it comes to fouled jets.the hole is very very small. i had to use a .009 guitar string to clear mine out!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

+1 on what Will.Bass said. Cleaning is probably a must.