CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Considering Buying - Running "Rough" & Smoke thru Tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Buying - Running "Rough" & Smoke thru Tailpipe

Whatsup guys,

I'm considering a 96 F3 with 18k miles. I haven't seen it in person yet, just talked with the owner. He obviously didn't sound mechanically inclined and could only really tell me it runs, but a bit rough, and that some smoke comes through the tailpipe. He thought it just needs a carb cleaning.

Personally, I'm worried a ring might be damaged or something along those lines, allowing oil through. I didn't have a lot of time to waste on the phone since I didn't think it was getting me anywhere, but I'll be checking color of the smoke and all that tomorrow.

Is there anything in particular I look should look for when I'm checking it out tomorrow? Any tell-tale signs of upcoming problems. What are common issues with this bike? The price is great if it's just a carb issue, but it's going to be my daily commuter so I can't afford to have downtime on it.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 AM

Uh.....bump. Little help here guys?

Anyway, I took a look at it and it seemed to be in decent shape for the age. The smoke was just at startup, and was just gas. Seemed not to be a big deal. Settled into a good idle after a minute, choke off.

The idle did get a bit rougher as it warmed to full operating temp and seemed a little uneven. I'm guessing maybe a valve adjustment or something like that? Not fun, but not too bad I'm hoping. Or perhaps the carbs just need to be synced? Really not too familiar with carbs yet - my current bike has ran perfect since I've had it.

We decided on a grand and it has a Yosh slip on and a few small battle scars, so I figure I'm getting a pretty decent deal.

I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow, so I want to ask again - is there anything real important I need to double check first?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Nice deal man! As for the idle, it's probably a mix of the carbs being gummed up and out of sync. A valve clearance check wouldn't hurt, but I bet it's only in the carbs.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just picked it up. It's a bit rough around the edges - could stand to be touched up here and there, but I made it home about 30mi without incident (except for running out of fuel promptly after leaving his house.....trip only showed 80 and I could hear gas in the tank. That went quick).

For the most part it ran nicely. It still is a little uneven. I'm thinking about running some Techron few a tank or two and then some Lucas fuel stabilizer and seeing if that might be enough to clear it up, since it doesn't seem to severe. Think that might help? (like I said, I'm pretty familiar with FI but not carbs at all)

It's got a bit of a flat spot around 3-4k. When I got home I pulled the choke all the way on to see how it would respond - it promptly died and then wouldn't start regardless of choke. Gonna go check it now and see if it'll start now. Fingers crossed....haha.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM

The flat spot sounds like gumming issues. I think your on the right track to add some carb cleaner additive for a few tanks. Get her on the road for a while, it can really help if it's been sitting. Then this next winter maybe tear down the carbs and clean/rebuld & maybe jet them. Never taken mine apart...yet