CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cannot figure this problem out?? pleaase help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cannot figure this problem out?? pleaase help

Hello again all,

I hope you are all well, and that some of you got to enjoy the southend shakedown. I was on my way to it and broke down!

2 weeks prior to this I had a strange problem with my bike cutting out on me for no reason at all, like it was running out of fuel, the revs would just drop and the enjine would spluter then cut out.
The first time it happened I thought it must be because ive hit reserve, so I flicked the switch round and waitied for a bit and kept trying until the bike stared, 15 minutes or so later it fired up and I rode about 3 miles home on slow roads.

A week later the bike did it again, this time it wasnt so easy to get going, I pulled over again checked the fuel, there was a full tank, shook the bike as I noticed months before that I could hear a rattle in the fuel tank when I had it off (but couldnt get it out,, sounded like a small pebble or like the small datatag chip had fallen off inside) , I also adjusted the rev idle screw, about 15 minutes had passed and eventually it got going again and I rode it about 7 miles home on fast roads.

The day before the shakedown, I took the bike apart cleaned it, changed the oil, the oil filter, and cleaned the air filter as its reusable.
I took it out the early hours of the next morning and it ran like crap, the revs wouldn't go above 6k as it was like it was hitting a limiter, sometimes it would all of the sudden go, and others it just sounded like it was hitting the limiter again. So I took it home cleaned the air filter again, and it seemed to run a little bit better...

The day of southend shakedown comes, I ride maybe 2 miles, got onto the a127 and the bike started chugging - the revs dropped and it died.
A few minutes prior to this I had stopped off and filled up with fuel and noticed the bike seemed quite hot, but the temperature gauge all three times had been between half way and 3 quarters. This has always been the case in the year/13K miles I have had it.

Now I am not quite sure what the problems going to be, as its intermittent. I did notice the last time I got on it that the fuel pump was very very hot, and I had only been on it a couple of miles. Some people have said the pump may be worn out/overheating which is causing the fuel to evaporate and in turn making the bike react like its out of fuel.

I really do not know where to start with this, I plan to take it apart again at the weekend check the fuel filter etc, but I am unsure what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be??

By the way the bike is a 98 CBR 600 f3 26k miles, but well looked after.

Id appreciate any help at all if you can give it,

Thank you!!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM

I also think it's the fuel pump. You can run your bike without the pump (bypass the pump)at low speeds. However at higher speeds you need your fuel pump. I would start with that and prob. buy a new one if you buy a used one you never know how long it may last or if it has the same problem. Good luck keep us posted!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:29 PM

That happen to me and it turned out to be the Voltage Regulator, but I also agree on the fuel pump theory, and maybe the filter is clogged.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM

that sounds like what happened when my pump went out

Old 04-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the pump, but when the reg goes (intermittent at 1st) Your running off battery power. So as the battery dies, plugs & fuel pump are not getting enough power. As the plugs discharge their taking power away from everything else. Start as the others have suggested & bypass the pump. The Reg is a bugger of a thing to pin down as the culprit, as most of the time they just don't fail (& can even give positive reading when their checked). I think most of us that have had the reg problem end up looking at everything else, including the battery, so just keep that in mind.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had very similar issues to what you are having. Bike would lug and then die. I couldn't ever track it down because it was so random and intermittent. About a year later, my reg/rec went out. After replacing it, I haven't had any issues of this nature since. Like pacemaker said, it is a royal pain in the **** to diagnose.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Hello everybody that took the time to reply, first of all thank you! I think I should be in for a nice weekend, so this will be my job for saturday/sunday morning.

I will start by bypassing the pump to see what happens and hopefully I will be able to get hold of a pump cheaper than the £200 honda are quoting me (assuming this is the problem)

Thanks to those of you who suggested the rec, I did not even think of that. Its just a pain as its intermittent, but giving that it has happened more regularly, and fairly soon into any rides I should be able to pin down what it is.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, if anyone has any suggestions or experience with similar problems please let me know. Also if anyone knows of any good dealers for the parts I may need, that also would be great.

Thanks again!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Talking

...Did I say thanks.. I think so!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Because the fuel pump is not a high volume high pressure pump, it's easy when the pump gets old for it to get stuck. When it gets stuck, it heats up because fuel is not flowing through it to cool it off. And you're not getting the fuel to the carbs that you need, so your bike feels like it's running out of fuel (which it is). Take a look at a place called Service Honda, great pricing. I picked up a new one for about $105 US. Not sure where you're located, but judging from the funny money symbol you posted you're not from around here . I think that Service Honda will ship overseas.

If it's a R/R, just check it with a meter. It's pretty well documented in the shop manual as far as what to look for. If you don't have the shop manual, it's available somewhere here on the site.

Good luck.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM

sounds like the probs with my f2 exactly....im tryin to figure it out myself...except i dont have a fuel pump...mayb its my r/r as well...guess its worth checking out...thanks for the info...

Quick Reply: Cannot figure this problem out?? pleaase help