CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Broken Plug!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Plug!

First off to start, my name is kevin and im a GM technician. couple days ago i picked up a 96 600f3. quit smoking, broke up with the girl, felt like a deserved something fun. use to ride a few years ago i figured id get back into the game. so i bought it, did a carb job yesterday but it was blowing out cylinder 1 coil. i figured it was just not grabbing the top of the plug. so today before riding it home, id just double check make sure the plug is tight and get it to sit right on the plug. sooooooo turns out the plug broke in the head and the non broken part is hanging in the head.

i was wondering if this happened to anyone. for me, its down to pulling the head and extracting this SOB, or try to fit an easy-out down the cylinder.

is it possible to access the bottom of the cylinder via carb removal.

just looking for some input.

Kevin
862-268-0520

Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ricecooker
First off to start, my name is kevin and im a GM technician. couple days ago i picked up a 96 600f3. quit smoking, broke up with the girl, felt like a deserved something fun. use to ride a few years ago i figured id get back into the game. so i bought it, did a carb job yesterday but it was blowing out cylinder 1 coil. i figured it was just not grabbing the top of the plug. so today before riding it home, id just double check make sure the plug is tight and get it to sit right on the plug. sooooooo turns out the plug broke in the head and the non broken part is hanging in the head.

i was wondering if this happened to anyone. for me, its down to pulling the head and extracting this SOB, or try to fit an easy-out down the cylinder.

Kevin
862-268-0520
wouldn't even bother with an easy out i would just pull the head off and get it out that way and while the head is off re-tap the threads just to be on the safe side

what do you mean 'did a carb job'?

you can also do your valve clearances and put a new camchain on there whilst your at it. how many miles does it have on?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

How much of the plug is still in there? Is the metal part with the nut intact, or is that broken off?
As a GM tech, you should be able to extract it with no problems.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
How much of the plug is still in there? Is the metal part with the nut intact, or is that broken off?
As a GM tech, you should be able to extract it with no problems.

was about 3/8 in the cylinder. i got it out. hammered an easy out down there, spun it and it came out. took awhile to find the right size but worked like a charm. stuck a magenet down and got anything on top of the piston then turned over the engine a few times to blow out the rest. put in new plugs and good to go.

ill post pictures when it comes threw my email

Kevin

Old 08-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Congratulations on two fronts. For choosing an excellent bike and for quiting smoking. Both are excellent choices. Good job on getting the plug out. Changing plugs on these bikes is similar to changing plugs on a 70's era big block chevy with AC. Not a whole lot of room to work with.

Anyway, welcome to the forum as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricecooker

Kevin
862-268-0520
`

More than enough reason!

Welcome to the CBR Forum Kevin. And good job with the repair.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM

thank you and i must say this bike runs amazingly now that were firing on all 4 cylinders hahaha