CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bringing my F3 back to Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing my F3 back to Life

Ok, so yesterday I was coming back to Atlanta from Salem, SC on my F3. I hadn't had the bike that long and was really just breaking it in (it only has 7k from the original owner). From SC to GA the bike performs beautifully, not even as much as a bolt out of place; mint cond. By the time I get back into Atlanta it was 8pm and there had been light rain, so I got off the highway one exit early of heavy traffic and decide to take surface roads the rest of the way home (a total of 6 miles). I get to reasonably large intersection and stop at the light like normal and wait for the green. OK light changes and I'm letting off the clutch when out the right rearview I see two headlights coming on fast. Before my right foot even touches the peg, hear a screech and feel a slight jolt to my rear tire.... (We all know how this ends) the tap is enough to move my body forward and loosen my right finger, the bike was first through the intersection I was disbelief through the air. The truck that had stopped to close to me conveniently went around and didn't stop, AT ALL. I was pissed more than hurt, thank-god. Another rider was the only one that stopped and helped me move the bike to the corner of the intersection (5 blocks from my house). Upon looking at the damage once I had it towed back to my house I tested controls/ suspension/wires/ect. And found that outside the left handle bar and front light/tach housing, all the damage was purely cosmetic. (Cracked fairings, torn leather, broken tail light, dent in tank). Not that bad right?

So I have gone through this whole story to ask help in restoring it. I wanted to fit the tack of the F4i on there with the back of an rc51 or f4 with the RC front light housing. Will any of these parts work or will it be best to just return it back to stock??? Thanks

Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bringing my F3 back to Life

All is do able. but 1st, wot a bummer!!!!, I've heard a few tales of woe over the years, even bikes being dropped riding out of the dealers drive. Ok wot do you want to do, either way its going to cost you. Did you have the upgrade in mind when you bought the bike, if so, go down that road now, cos now would be the time to do it.
I love the look of the F3, I've got one & I think they look classic, where a lot of bikes have aged badly, the F3 still gets attention, if it where me I'd go that way. There is a lot of info on this site with riders doing what you propose, so do some searching. either way good luck, and as Murphy's law dictates "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong & at the most inconvenient time".

Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Murphy was an a##hole and didn't live in modern day America. See this as an opprotunity to better your bike and yourself.

Dude,it's your bike,do what pleases you,and no one else.

But I agree with pacemaker,the classic look of the F3 is wonderful and will remain so.Either way you win.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kjohnson

Murphy was an a##hole and didn't live in modern day America. See this as an opprotunity to better your bike and yourself.

Dude,it's your bike,do what pleases you,and no one else.

But I agree with pacemaker,the classic look of the F3 is wonderful and will remain so.Either way you win.
Yeah, he may be, but...?

www.murphys-laws.com/

Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 AM

I ain't lookin at that.Thoughts become things.I'm tired of bs in day to day life.Time for the good life,for me and those I love.

F3s rock!!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM

Basically the idea I have for the bike that was in the accident is a streetfighter conversion. I haven't seen many on the f3 so I think it would be interesting since I like the style.

Also I have a 96 f3 that I'm already doing a full restoration on, so with any luck I'll be able to 2 f3's with 2 very different personalities.

but in ref. to this one I was thinking of the f4i gauge, acerbis cyclops lamps with hid h3 conversion, two brothers underseat exhaust, MV F4 retrofit tail, seat & rear lights and a new f3 tank. painted in a kameleon green/black with yellow accents.

That is a good bit of fabrication but if it is at all close to what I have in my mind It, will be a fun ride and a good show bike.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 AM

Dunno 'bout mods, but can imagine even a "tap" from a truck behind as sucking, royally. Glad you're repairing. Laters.G.