CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Braking System

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking System

Hi, I need to upgrade my braking system on the F3. Even when using new pads with good disk thickness I get brake fade and spongy lever.
Can anyone suggest which other bike model disks, callipers and slave cylinder will fit on / bolt on to the F3 as standard with little to no modification?
If this is not possible, then which other bike model braking system can I use with modification?
Maybe there is a newer model front end complete that fits the F3 neck - ?

Please help.

Scott.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You'd be surprised how many bikes' front ends will fit on your F3.

Fork conversion All ***** Racing

Just about every Honda sportbike's front end will fit on yours (600rr, 900rr, 929/954, 1000rr, etc).

You could even put an S1000r front end on your bike! It just depends on what you want to spend. A great thing about the F3 is that the forks are very desirable to classic/club racers, so a good condition front end is pretty valuable.

Or you could rebuild your system with new pads, new seals on the calipers, M/C rebuild kit, completed with SS lines and a good bleed. There won't be any fade or spongy feel then.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM

I was under the impression brake fade came from over heating your pads? I cannot see this happening on the street. Do you track your bike?

Have you replaced the brake hoses, the oem rubber hoses after many years will lose structural integrity and expand as the lever is pulled. The best upgrade you can do for your money is stainless steel braided lines. Spongyness just means the brakes need a proper bleed. I'd recommend filling the braking system from the bleed niple up but you have to go slow and careful so as not blow past the piston seals. For this I'd grab a 200ml syringe and some tubing that will fit snugly over the nipple and syringe. Obviously keep draining the master cylinder until you have clean brake fluid in there.

Hel branded ss lines on my f3 totally transformed my braking capability.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
You'd be surprised how many bikes' front ends will fit on your F3.

Fork conversion All ***** Racing

Just about every Honda sportbike's front end will fit on yours (600rr, 900rr, 929/954, 1000rr, etc).

You could even put an S1000r front end on your bike! It just depends on what you want to spend. A great thing about the F3 is that the forks are very desirable to classic/club racers, so a good condition front end is pretty valuable.

Or you could rebuild your system with new pads, new seals on the calipers, M/C rebuild kit, completed with SS lines and a good bleed. There won't be any fade or spongy feel then.
Thank You, I truly appreciate the assistance that you have given. So I take it then that any of those models would have the same neck brace distance and fork length?
Would I need to change front wheels? i.e. can I keep 600 wheel style / size (current) in say the RR of 900 fork set?

Let me shop around and see what I can find.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Contro13R
I was under the impression brake fade came from over heating your pads? I cannot see this happening on the street. Do you track your bike?

Have you replaced the brake hoses, the oem rubber hoses after many years will lose structural integrity and expand as the lever is pulled. The best upgrade you can do for your money is stainless steel braided lines. Spongyness just means the brakes need a proper bleed. I'd recommend filling the braking system from the bleed niple up but you have to go slow and careful so as not blow past the piston seals. For this I'd grab a 200ml syringe and some tubing that will fit snugly over the nipple and syringe. Obviously keep draining the master cylinder until you have clean brake fluid in there.

Hel branded ss lines on my f3 totally transformed my braking capability.
Hi Contro 13R - this is my road bike for weekends. We do ride hard and do some 400 to 600 Km's every Sat / Sun. Most of the roads these are nice and twisty with some long straights. So braking is used a lot. I have replaced hoses with braided stainless, cleaned out master and calipers when the bike was rebuilt a year back. I have little wear on the disks (Oem, not wavy aftermarket) and have quality pads on board. Just does not stop quick enough when compared to my GSX 600 or F4 bike.
I do like the suggestion of Front End change as this will bring newer technology to teh braking systems etc - Gents really appreciate your inputs, Thank You.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Grimley
Thank You, I truly appreciate the assistance that you have given. So I take it then that any of those models would have the same neck brace distance and fork length?
Would I need to change front wheels? i.e. can I keep 600 wheel style / size (current) in say the RR of 900 fork set?

Let me shop around and see what I can find.
Well, all that site really deals with is neck length. AllBalls will sell conversion bearings to make the stem fit correctly. But after that, it assumes you will use the entire front end - if you look at some of the other bikes listed, there are dirt bike front ends, dual sport front ends, even a gold wing front end.

To determine if you can keep you f3 wheel, it's going to depend on mostly your rotors. You can easily make bearings, a collar, and wheel spacers for the physical rim. The rotor offset, and size will determine what forks you can use (unless different rotors swap onto your rim). Long story short, it depends and it gets more complicated when you want to use other parts