CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bought another CBR this one non running anyone want to help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

All you really need is carb cleaner, compressed air, either from a compressor or canned air, glass jars to soak the jets, tooth pics and small brushes.
It's usually a good idea to keep the jets for each particular carb in separate jars. In other words, have a jar 1 for carb 1, jar 2 for carb 2, etc..
There are a bajillion videos that show you how to clean them.
My personal fav is a guy named MrMaxStorey on youtube. He has a knack of explaining things in a simple manner.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot for the life of me find the two inner screws to get the carbs out. Can I drop the bowls without taking it off or is that going to to difficult?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Dropping just the bowls isn't enough as you will need to remove the top to get the needle valves out. Plus, I can pretty much guarantee you will drop a washer, spring, jet or something if you try to leave the carbs attached. Finding something that small in the engine compartment area can be murderous. I speak from experience.
"IF" the PO did it right, the inner screws should be facing out at approximately a 45 degree angle, like the ones on the outer carbs. It's kinda like playing where's Waldo. But they are there.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:07 PM

Well got the four screws loosened all up but for the life of.me can't get these carbs to come out. Am I missing something? Got almost all hose off choke cable and the top cable that I could get to. The cabs move a bit well I'm pulling but will not come off.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Nope. Keep at it. They will come off. If the carbs haven't been off in a long time, they are a bugger. You will swear there's something else holding them, but it's just the boots are adhered to the intakes. Rock them back and forth, then front and back. If you have a rubber mallet, GENTLY tap on them. I've found getting #1 or #4 loose will help the rest. Sometimes warming up the boots with a hair dryer helps. I've even pried them off, but you really have to be super careful doing that.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:27 PM

well you were right just alot of pulling and a flat head for leverage. I dont have access to compressed air right now whats next best? should I take everything out and let it sit over night in some gas or seafoam or am i ok with a needle and carb cleaner cleaning it out?

Its pretty gummed up in there pulled the jet out that had a way to get a wrench on it and i could hardly see out the 6 holes. how do i get the others out?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Take a look at this post and it will help you describe some of the things you're looking at. Most auto parts stores sell a parts cleaning dip can where you can soak an individual carburetor body in overnight.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-...cation-124026/

See if you can get something like this in your area. After soaking, you can use the spray carb cleaner to ensure that the passageways are all cleaned out.

Solder Seal/Gunk Carburetor Parts Cleaner - Complete Kit CC3K: Shop the best Carb Cleaner at Advance Auto Parts

Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gamekiller7
well you were right just alot of pulling and a flat head for leverage. I dont have access to compressed air right now whats next best? should I take everything out and let it sit over night in some gas or seafoam or am i ok with a needle and carb cleaner cleaning it out?

Its pretty gummed up in there pulled the jet out that had a way to get a wrench on it and i could hardly see out the 6 holes. how do i get the others out?
There are carb disassembly pictorials on the net. What I would advise is going and buying a gallon of "carb dip". It usually comes in a gallon paint can

Be careful. You know all of those "this product can cause cancer blah blah blah"? This stuff actually will. Use gloves, go slow and don't spill.

But essentially, get all of your rubber seals removed from the components. Break down the jets, needle valve, floats, air needles, and then take all of your solely metal parts of the carbs and let them soak for 24hrs in the carb dip. So then,you need to make sure your venturis and other passages in the carb body are clear. Make sure your diaphragms are in working order.

Take your plastic parts and make sure they're clean and ready-to-go.

The next day, assemble everything back together. Make sure everything is free and clear (like the jets). If they're not, use some of the copper from wiring to clear it.Put back on motorcycle.

After all of that, you want to make sure you use new fuel lines and a new filter. Flush the fuel pump with new gas. Not doing this is like putting on dirty underwear after a shower.

Then you'll want to sync the carbs.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

100% agree with everything Conrice and IDoDirt said. As to the not having compressed air question, go to CVS, RiteAid or Office Depot and get a can of compressed air. It's the kind you blow out computer keyboards and electronics. One large can should be more than enough to get the job done.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM

Well I decided to just bring the carbs into the shop down the road quoted me 100-120 till he looked at the carbs and said he might have to ultrasonic clean then. Is this something I have to have done?

Quick Reply: bought another CBR this one non running anyone want to help?