CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Blown head gasket or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket or not ?

So i purchased a 95 f3 and the previous owner was told it had a blown head gasket because it was overheating and the coolant was milky . Water is not getting into the engine oil in the crank case though , and the bike runs great . So i am hoping it was mis-diagnosed . I read a post from about a month ago about the same issue that ended up being an oil cooler o-ring problem . Where is the oil cooler on these bikes and how do they tie into the cooling system . Is there any other things to check for where the oil might be injecting into the water ? Remember , water is not mixing with the oil in the crank case , so i really dont think i have a blown head gasket . Thanks , Jeremy

Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Default RE: Blown head gasket or not ?

I changed the coolant last nigh on the bike and i am gonna run it fora while and see what happens . The overflow tube and tank were clogged up so i figure that is why it was spitting coolant out the cap . And yes , it is a pita to get the overflow tank out !!!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Keep us posted

Old 10-13-2007, 04:32 PM

Well , i replaced the orings in the oil cooler and got a new radiator cap , but i am still leaking coolant from the cap .It is fine until i rev the motor up , then it leaks , and the more rpms , the more serious the leak .The filler neck that the cap screws into is kinda mangled up a little , but i am more confused by the amount of pressure being built up in the coolant system . Maybe i really do have a blown head gasket . Just not sure cause like i said . The bike runs perfect , and i am not getting any water in the oil in the crank case . Could it be the water pump ? If it was a blown head gasket , wouldnt i see some kind of performance problems , or steam in the exhaust ? I am stumped on this and am about ready to give up and let the dealership try and figure it out . Just gonna suck paying em $600 if it is the head gasket . Anyone have any ideas ???

Old 10-13-2007, 05:46 PM

ok , so now i feel stupid . I took the filler neck and cap out together and the filler neck is so mangled that if i put the cap on , turn it upside down and fill with water , guess where it leaks out !!! Well, looks like i need a new fillerneck now ....

Old 10-13-2007, 09:51 PM

While you are at it ,replace the cap too.

Cap says 1.1 on it ,and that's equal to 16 lbs.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:15 AM

well , finally got the new neck on it and everything looks good so far . No more coolant leaks . I will run it for a couple weeks and ck the fluids . I think i may have discovered that the motor has been changed as well , so i am hoping i got lucky and maybe the original motor blew the head and trashed the motor , and the coolant system was just never fixed after the motor swap . We will see

Any one know for sure how to ck the motor serial # against the frame ??? Or possibly even run the motor # and see what year it is . The reason i am asking is when i was at the Honda shop i asked about the o-rings for the oil cooler and was told the 95's didnt havean oil cooler , but mine deff does .