CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Blown Head gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head gasket!

I blew the head gasket on my '93 900rr today. I noticed this when i found coolant spitting out of the backside of the motor where the gasket is.

I am looking for some advice as far as things to look out for. Such as (keeping timing correct, what to watch out for, and what not to break.)

I already have a new gasket ordered and am wondering how you would suggest cleaning the milky oil out of the motor.

Also is there an online manual or spec guide for this model so i can figure out how to put it all back together?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by banthony45
I blew the head gasket on my '93 900rr today. I noticed this when i found coolant spitting out of the backside of the motor where the gasket is.

I am looking for some advice as far as things to look out for. Such as (keeping timing correct, what to watch out for, and what not to break.)

I already have a new gasket ordered and am wondering how you would suggest cleaning the milky oil out of the motor.

Also is there an online manual or spec guide for this model so i can figure out how to put it all back together?
If you plan on doing this yourself, you will need to buy or download a workshop manual for your bike. Do not use one of those crappy haynes or clymer manuals.

Keeping the timing correct is not difficult, when you reassemble you just need to align markers on your gears/cams whatever.

As for the nasty oil, I would just change the oil and filter as well as drop the pan after draining to get any left over crud out. After you change the oil, run the bike for a minute and check the oil stick... You might have to change it again, but probably not.

The important part is to get a good manual.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Anybody know where to get a good manual?
Always taking good suggestions for help!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM

go to ebay and by the factory manual. Its spendy but more than worth it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-95...ht_1708wt_1298

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

Just need to know how the marks are supposed to be alligned? on both cams is an "ex" and "in" mark and what mark on the crank is TDC? I know one cam is for intake and the other cam is for exhaust.

Why are both marked with similar marks and how do you allign them?

I put it back together as close to what it looked like when I took it apart but it just doesnt sound right and doesnt run like it should.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Did you get it back together and timed??? I just replaced the headgasket on my 95 by myself. (and am not a mechanic at all). If you still need help, let me know.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:16 AM

Actually I did get it back together and running well. Then today the #3 cylinder shot a rod through the crank case.
So I guess I'm done with my bike for this season.

Quick Reply: Blown Head gasket!