CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket?

Hey Guys,

Heres the story, I was out riding and got about 5 miles from my house and stoped to make sure things were going good, (chain, tires etc.) and a puddle of oil/coolant was forming comming out of the overflow tube on my coolant resivor. Temp was good at that point. Tried to get it home. didn't make it. the temp spiked and i got into a parking lot and shut it off before it was in the red. Anyone have anything like this happen to them? I assume that the headgasket blew and that is the reason for the problems but it seemed that there was alot more oil than i was used to for just a blown headgasket. could it be a bad oil pump seals? or waterpump seals? Help!!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Default RE: Blown head gasket?

check the oil if there is coolant in it then its a blown head gasket.. if not then the head gasket is fine.

did you check to see if it was the overflow or the hose from the radiator to the overflow.. i had my overflow line (from rad to overflow canister)rub on the chain and get a hole in it and i was freaking out that something major was wrong.

my GUESS is waterpump stopped pumping causing the coolant not to cycle through the system, now thats just a guess!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 PM

I don't know for sure being as my bike is in a parking lot 4 miles away but i am fairly sure that it was comming out of the overflow for the coolant bottle and there was oil in the coolant bottle. Also there was close to no oil in the bike when i stopped. It didn't seize and i know i didn't get it too hot but the oil was not on the stick anymore. I just don't know how that much oil could have gotten into the coolant. Any ideas?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 PM

sounds like a blown head gasket to me. u can drain your coolant and just check for oil in that. that's going to be your best bet for now. put some oil in it and get her home that way you can work on it. also since u have to put oil in it, once u get it home check the dipstick for white bubbles (sign of a blown headgasket) and also make sure that the oil isnt milky (another sign of a blown headgasket) keep us up to date.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 PM

Ok got a buddy with a pickup and we are going to get it home tomorrow morning. Assuming we are talking about a headgasket failure as long as I am in there i may as well do the valve clearances as well. Any special tools for that? Also what kind of coolant should go back in? water wetter? I just flushed the coolant about 500 miles ago and put new in but just used prestone seemed to be plenty cool. Do you think that could have contributed to the problems?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 PM

yeah if there is oil in the coolant then for sure..i didnt see in the 1st one where you said coolant AND oil... sorry bud thats a head gasket then.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 PM

Well, went in to the local dealer and he said its 99% the head gasket. So ordered a clymer manual and the gasket for 99 bucks. they'll be here on monday. So tomorrows project is take out the engine and check the valve clearances. Thanks for the input btw. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:33 PM

$99 bucks? Ouch!

Pray it's only the head gasket and not some crack in the block. Was it spitting water out the pipe? (or vapor?) At least you'll know as soon as you pull the head off as you will be able to see exactly where the trail goes between passages.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM
G2G

this just happened to my girlfriends F2. I just bought a F3 engine and will be putting it in next week. I don't have the time or recources to tear apart the engine since I live in downtown chicago bo the engine is the quick and easy and also cheaper way out. If you open your radiator cap and it is milky white then yes that is your problem. But with all the info you have given i am 99% sure that this is your problem. Sorry

Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 PM

100% headgasket. I had one just pop and I couldn't believe how much oil came of the the radiator hose. You could of got a headgasket for $35....

And just so you know, you don't need to take the engine out to get the head off. It'll save a lot of time that way.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket?