CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike needs some work, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

I'm also going to be pulling the fairing stay off and trying to fix any bends in the metal to salvage it,
Are you planning on putting a set of fairings on it ? If so, I woudn't waste my time in trying to straightening the fairing stay out. I have 2 F3's with the advantage of comparing one to another. I still couldn't get it perfect. Close, but not perfect. You could spend hours and hours tweeking it, putting the upper fairing on, taking it back off, tweeking it some more, and on and on and on. Well worth the $50 or so that you can get one for.

If you're not going to put the fairings on, then don't give it a second thought. Straighten away...

Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idodirt
Are you planning on putting a set of fairings on it ? If so, I woudn't waste my time in trying to straightening the fairing stay out. I have 2 F3's with the advantage of comparing one to another. I still couldn't get it perfect. Close, but not perfect. You could spend hours and hours tweeking it, putting the upper fairing on, taking it back off, tweeking it some more, and on and on and on. Well worth the $50 or so that you can get one for.

If you're not going to put the fairings on, then don't give it a second thought. Straighten away...
Good advice, thanks!

Update: I took the upper fairing stay off as well as the cluster. The cluster definitely needs replacement because the fuses didn't fix the speedo, trip, or odometer and ALL of the plastic clips that attach it to the frame are broken. The fairing stay definitely needs replacement as well because it is bent beyond fixing pretty much and will always make the cluster be on incorrectly. I also sanded the tank down, primered it, and painted it semi-gloss black. It still needs the gloss clear coat tomorrow and it will be good. I emptied the gas with the seafoam out and put some fresh 93 octane in there (shell nitrogen) and also took the tank and airbox off and cleaned the carbs. No more bogging! MAN does this thing pull! I almost lifted it in first. All that's left to do is get a new fairing stay, cluster, and at the minimum new mirrors and tail plastic piece. I'm debating whether or not to put some plastic on it, or leave it naked. It looks so hot naked right now without the cluster, mirrors, fairings, fairing stay, and black tank! Pics to come tomorrow!

- Jason

EDIT: Here's a few pictures of the bike from last night with the front fender off, tank still painted purple and yellow, and the cluster still on. The video is from yesterday too with the oldish gas with seafoam in it. Only gets up to 8k in the video.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHieLH6coDc
Pics:
Name:  DSC_1129.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  126.4 KB
Name:  DSC_1130.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  131.3 KB
Name:  DSC_1131.jpg
Size:  145.5 KB
Name:  DSC_1132.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  152.2 KB
Name:  DSC_1133.jpg
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  DSC_1134.jpg
Size:  93.8 KB
Name:  DSC_1136.jpg
Size:  94.9 KB
Name:  DSC_1137.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  82.1 KB
Name:  DSC_1138.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB
Name:  DSC_1139.jpg
Size:  76.3 KB
Name:  DSC_1145.jpg
Size:  58.8 KB
Name:  DSC_1146.jpg
Size:  90.4 KB
Name:  DSC_1147.jpg
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  DSC_1148.jpg
Size:  57.5 KB
Name:  DSC_1149.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB
Name:  DSC_1150.jpg
Size:  90.1 KB
Name:  DSC_1151.jpg
Size:  55.4 KB

Last edited by Jmannumber7; 07-10-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Also, does anyone know where I can find myself an aftermarket cluster/gauges? Do I need the fairing stay to remount the OEM cluster or an aftermarket one? I would also need mirrors and a headlight to stay legal. Any suggestions appreciated!

- Jason

Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 AM

Here's a Fairing Stay from eBay where the guy clearly doesn't know what the value of it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-10-2009, 11:10 AM

It's of my personal opinion that you should make this bike a Streetfighter. You're 80% of the way there, and then you don't have to deal with $600+ for fairings. Get some goggle headlights, and an F4i gauge cluster, and some $20 mirrors, and you're set. It'll look bad ***!

As for making it run, take the carbs apart, soak and clean them by hand as per usual. Throw out all the filters and plugs get new ones. That engine is a tank, so don't get to worried about it. You just got a great deal.

Did the PO paint the manifold? That's awesome.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Here's a Fairing Stay from eBay where the guy clearly doesn't know what the value of it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories
That's pretty cheap, I saw a guy selling one on these forums for $15 so I'm going to try and get my hands on that. This is probably a stupid question, but can I use the OEM/aftermarket/f4i cluster without the fairing stay?

It's of my personal opinion that you should make this bike a Streetfighter. You're 80% of the way there, and then you don't have to deal with $600+ for fairings. Get some goggle headlights, and an F4i gauge cluster, and some $20 mirrors, and you're set. It'll look bad ***!

As for making it run, take the carbs apart, soak and clean them by hand as per usual. Throw out all the filters and plugs get new ones. That engine is a tank, so don't get to worried about it. You just got a great deal.

Did the PO paint the manifold? That's awesome.
I agree, I think when it comes down to it I'll just leave it naked/streetfighter. I love the way it looks! I'm not sure what the PO did to be honest haha.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jmannumber7
but can I use the OEM/aftermarket/f4i cluster without the fairing stay?
It's not a direct swap; you end up make your own mount for it one way or another. Search around the forums, some people have come up with some neat ideas for it. I only reccomend it because it adds some cool streetfighter flair to the bike. Totally unecessary.

Originally Posted by Jmannumber7
I love the way it looks! I'm not sure what the PO did to be honest haha.
Well, I'd vote "streetfighter" is what he was doing. I don't know WTF is up with those blown fuses, though. Give the wiring and R/R once over, just in case he did something weird. If the R/R is bad, I got one to sell.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Im running an F4i cluster. Ill get you some pics. If you want something smaller look into the Trailtech Vapor

Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 PM

It's not a direct swap; you end up make your own mount for it one way or another. Search around the forums, some people have come up with some neat ideas for it. I only reccomend it because it adds some cool streetfighter flair to the bike. Totally unecessary.

Well, I'd vote "streetfighter" is what he was doing. I don't know WTF is up with those blown fuses, though. Give the wiring and R/R once over, just in case he did something weird. If the R/R is bad, I got one to sell.
Awesome, thank you very much! The fuses that were blown were actually the spare ones . I don't know why someone would put the spare fuses back in if they were blown.

Originally Posted by cajunlowrida
Im running an F4i cluster. Ill get you some pics. If you want something smaller look into the Trailtech Vapor
Sounds good, thanks!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 AM

Mini update:

Bike doesn't bog down anymore with throttle. The tank is finished and now black. I messed up the clear coat so I had to resand it and paint over the black with more black, and this time didn't put a clear coat on. Turned out pretty well.

Name:  IMG_0872.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  99.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0873.jpg
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0874.jpg
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0875.jpg
Size:  89.5 KB