CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike needs some work, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike needs some work, please advise

I just picked up a 1998 CBR 600 F3 with 9,640 miles on it for $1450 yesterday. Here she is.

Name:  IMG_0741.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  131.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0742.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  120.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0743.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  101.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0744.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  94.9 KB

Yes I know, the bronze flamed front fender has to go, and the tank needs to be painted something else. Bear with the ugliness for awhile.

All it has is an after-market ignition and a full D&D exhaust system. Here are some issues that I have with it.

-Bogs down with lots of throttle, doesn't stall, just bogs (idles okay though)
-Cluster/dash is bent or something (I think the plastic clips broke)
-Speedo doesn't work (tach and temp guage does though)
-Odometer/trip reset doesn't work
-Tail is sagging/held on by tape
-Needs fairings/body work and front fender is cracked

#1: Bogging
There is about 3/4th of a tank of gas in it and I poured almost a full can (1 pint) of seafoam in there to clean everything out. I then ran the bike (not rode) for an hour and a half and stopped it and turned it on again a few times. During the whole process barely any smoke at all was noticed, although after a little while the engine started knocking a little bit (hollow clunking) and the idle became rough which is what it is supposed to do. Should I continue to use the rest of this tank with the seafoam in it to clean it further then refill with some good gas and then see if it continues to bog down? If this doesn't fix the problem I'll pull the carbs and manually clean them. If that doesn't work what else could it be? Fuel filter/pump/lines? Air filter maybe?

#2: Cluster/frame
The frame itself that holds the cluster to the frame that is held on by 2 bolts seems to be bent entirely. It's the part that also holds the mirrors. What is this part called/where can I find a replacement? Can I still reuse my current cluster in its condition? It's only held on by zip ties and the speedo doesn't work. What can I do about this? Here is a picture to show how bad it is.

Name:  IMG_0745.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  114.8 KB

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

- Jason

Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM

1) Was it running bad before the seafoam? If not, the seafoam is the problem. You used entirely too much (how do I know, I did the same thing. Who cares what the directions say, right ? )

2)Its called a fairing stay. Get a new one off ebay if its bent. They don't cost too much.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cajunlowrida
1) Was it running bad before the seafoam? If not, the seafoam is the problem. You used entirely too much (how do I know, I did the same thing. Who cares what the directions say, right ? )

2)Its called a fairing stay. Get a new one off ebay if its bent. They don't cost too much.
1) It wasn't running poorly before the seafoam. It idled perfectly before I put it in. The only reason why I put seafoam in there is because whenever I gave the bike some throttle it would bog down while riding and I couldn't really exceed 50 mph. The guy I bought it from said it was because the carbs were dirty. I hoped that the seafoam would fix the problem, but I haven't tried riding the bike since adding it (its raining now) so I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I can run it some more with the seafoam in there and then put some new gas in.

2) Thanks!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM

It'll run like crap as long as there is still a lot of seafoam in the carbs. Its hard to say if it did the job of cleaning out the gunk until after its all out. Best bet is to pull the carbs and clean each of the jets seperately. For instructions, search this section, or cbrworld.net and you will find all the info you need to get the bike running well again. Just for the hell of it, I would change the plugs and air filter too. Plugs are NGK # CR9EH9, which you can get at any auto parts store or Honda dealership.

Let us know if you need anymore help, and good luck!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by cajunlowrida
It'll run like crap as long as there is still a lot of seafoam in the carbs. Its hard to say if it did the job of cleaning out the gunk until after its all out. Best bet is to pull the carbs and clean each of the jets seperately. For instructions, search this section, or cbrworld.net and you will find all the info you need to get the bike running well again. Just for the hell of it, I would change the plugs and air filter too. Plugs are NGK # CR9EH9, which you can get at any auto parts store or Honda dealership.

Let us know if you need anymore help, and good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Just a word of caution! Fill the gas tank up and try to dilute the seafoam. I did the exact same thing and ruined the diaphragms on the sliders.

Seafoam goes along way!

I would pull the carbs and clean them!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Hey, Mine was sitting for 2 years while i was overseas. Had alot of stuff to day and just got it up and running. I have to agree with most the replies on here. 1: change your plugs and clean your wires. I soaked mine in ketchup, stange i know but the acids deoxidize and clean the metal. plugs seam to go out pretty fast on the cbrs ive owned for some reason. 2: check your choke cable. My old f2 had this exact problem and i found that my choke cable was too tight even when fully "off" was bocking anytime i opened the throttle and wouldnt pick up speed. also induced alot of backfires at times. 3: find a diagram on here and check your spark order. your wires might be on the wrong plug and your engine is fighting itself. (also happened to me with similar symptoms) 4: fill up your tank, maybe throw some octane booster in there(i do) an open her up. idling an hour and riding an hour. all else fails get the carbs cleaned. If your not very mechanicly savy have a shop do it. this carbs are a bi#$% to get off. Shop near me will jet clean and calibrate for $150. (cheap) shop around.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by DaileyUSAR
Hey, Mine was sitting for 2 years while i was overseas. Had alot of stuff to day and just got it up and running. I have to agree with most the replies on here. 1: change your plugs and clean your wires. I soaked mine in ketchup, stange i know but the acids deoxidize and clean the metal. plugs seam to go out pretty fast on the cbrs ive owned for some reason. 2: check your choke cable. My old f2 had this exact problem and i found that my choke cable was too tight even when fully "off" was bocking anytime i opened the throttle and wouldnt pick up speed. also induced alot of backfires at times. 3: find a diagram on here and check your spark order. your wires might be on the wrong plug and your engine is fighting itself. (also happened to me with similar symptoms) 4: fill up your tank, maybe throw some octane booster in there(i do) an open her up. idling an hour and riding an hour. all else fails get the carbs cleaned. If your not very mechanicly savy have a shop do it. this carbs are a bi#$% to get off. Shop near me will jet clean and calibrate for $150. (cheap) shop around.
Good advice, thank you very much. I'll make sure to check out everything you said.

Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Just a word of caution! Fill the gas tank up and try to dilute the seafoam. I did the exact same thing and ruined the diaphragms on the sliders.

Seafoam goes along way!

I would pull the carbs and clean them!
Thanks for the advice! Yep I'm pulling the carbs tomorrow and cleaning them by hand. I got a hold of a nice repair manual (even though I've done it already on other bikes, this never hurts).

With all that being said, I went over the bike with a fine comb today. Took off the nasty front fender that was painted bronze with flames for some reason . I found 2 blown fuses that correlate to the speedo and odometer not working so I'll replace those tomorrow . I'm also going to be painting the tank black tomorrow, cleaning the carbs, pulling the fairing stay off and trying to fix any bends in the metal to salvage it, along with putting some fresh gas and what not in it. I'll update tomorrow!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out this company therapy cycle.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/95-98-Honda-CBR-6...n%3D3%26ps%3D5

Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by raiden
check out this company therapy cycle.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/95-98-Honda-CBR-6...n%3D3%26ps%3D5
Awesome, thanks man!

Quick Reply: Bike needs some work, please advise