Bike is dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Official Krazy Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, glad to hear it. If there's anything else, just ask

Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

actually "crazymonkeys" 11,950 miles on my cbr when the r/r and stator blew just last week.. that really sucked!!
anyway what i can "add" to everyones great help in this forum of ours is:
i had the same problem you had stukas and i actually replaced the wires and connector.. i ordered the conectors at the same time..just so the new wires that come from the stator connect to new wires running back to the r/r..like these guys mentioned theres a trementous amount of heat that travels through theses wires and are only good for so long.. and to the trained eye, they would be able to tell just by the color of the wire as the sheilding is pulled back, but to the untrained eye it would be aweful hard to tell..
my point being , make sure you run all new wires!! it will help with resistance and if you just bought both.. it probaly cost you a couple hundred bucks that you dont want to waste.. because people have been known to have this as a reaccuring problem until they do it right!!
anyway just trying to help.. like monkeys said: theres alot on here about hondas electrical and its mostly not good on the older models... really just a pain in the ***.. anyway another thing i did while reconecting everything was squirt this electric gel i bought at ace hardware to promote a better contact.. if you decide to use vasoline just know it will eat the insulation on wire after a while..
have a good day guys..
jay

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 10-23-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Official Krazy Member

Wow, I've never heard of one blowing that early. That really does suck. As a side note, I've never used vaseline as dielectric grease and I'm glad I didn't after reading that. Never knew it could hurt wire insulation. I have used it on weatherstrip to soften it and make it seal better with really great results. It takes a nice hot sunny day to really get it right though.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM

From the time i got the bike it in march it was haveing major staring issues and batery draining so im sure its been fried sense i got it. I think the new plug was like 7 bucks..and seeing as bought a new stator and rr and my old ones are fine besides a lil junk on one of the rr connectors I have an extra stator and rr. If its goes out again ill for sure do all the wires. Mainly trying to get her ready for winter with not too many rides left.

As soon as that new plug and stator gasket comes in ill just have to put it all on and I should be golden. Me other thing that has nothing to do with the thread but ow often should I lube the chain?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

but ow often should I lube the chain?

Every 500mi. Sooner if you ride in wet or dusty conditions.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Well, there's another thing I need to do lol replaced the fuse and it started. Put in the new stator, new rr, new oil, and still not starting. I cleaned up some of that nasty plug and it sputtered then died. Hopefully this new plug combing in works.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 PM

Just an update, stator is new, rr is new the plug to the rr is new and my dad ( electrician) connected it all right, battery is more then good. After my dad put the plug on right it started right up only to die quickly and now it still won't start, turns over fine thought. Went to bike shop and they said it must not be getting a spark so check the spark plugs or mabye the coil pack is out. If it started thought and before that when I jumped it, it would start right up every time so the coil fine right? I'm hoping when I get the spark plugs out that's the issue. Thoughts?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 AM

rereading the entire thread, i think you've done everything right so far.. sometimes these things will snoball into other things but just dont panic.. plus we're not missing 90 degree days or anything... the plug was fried which is typical of a bad r/r and changing the stator at the same time is supposed to be a good thing to do anyway... we're also talikng about a 15 year plus bike with wires and grounds obviosly the same age so anything could have been disturbed while doing the swap out and who knows maybe you had two problems going at once.. i would just be pateint go through everything slowly.. check all your connections..

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 11-02-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: my 100th post.. look at that, do i get a senior card for discounts like the aarp..hahah
Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM

Well...pulled the far left and far right plugs ( don't have an extension short enough to get to middle ones ). There was a little oil like mabye a drop or two worthy on one so didn't think bad. Gaps were smaller then they should've been so I fixed that and tested em and yes they spark. Plugged em in she starts right up. Rode round bit, and next day she doesn't wanna fire up again....went and got an extension and took the middle 2 plugs out too. They have a nice bit of oil on em as you can see. ( I tested them too and they spark ) they also had a small gap, fixed the gap, whipped the oil off...and she start right up ( least till I ride it and they get oil on em again ).

So my gasket is done for? Or is it just grommet under the valve cover that's messed up? How hard/annoying is it to fix this, same with how exactly expensive/worth it is it to fix this?

Again thank you for all the help, I'm catching on quick thought how this bike works the more I work on it

Attached Thumbnails Bike is dead-image.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM

so stukas,
im not really sure , how oil is flooding your spark plugs out!!!
i think you mentioned you have the book on your bike.. there def should be a page that would cover what the different colors on your plugs mean!!! personally i might even repost your problem, stating you have a new problem in the headline, just to catch a fresh set of eyes.. you know there alot of racers on here, who have probably torn these motors down a million times and will know exactly what your talking about..
as far as thinking about gettin a different bike..sure!! if you dont mind spending money, personally. i love the older bikes. with the exception of a couple major advancments.. your bike is identical to the ones rolling off the assembly line.. and maybe im wrong about the " couple" of major advancements.. overall im right and personally theres nothing like knowing the machine you know!! apposed to the one you dont know.. if you end up doing some motor work, thats when take the opptunity to do some upgrades and bring the horse power up.. if thats your thing.. pretty much, thats what your buying if get something newer...and a prettier tail if thats how feel..again i love the older styling and enjoy chit/ chatting with people who feel the same.. youll figure out.. and feel good about the bike, once its all behind you..
jay