CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bad news

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy bad news

Well as the title says thats what i have. I left my motorcycle parked in my apartment buildings parking lot, and some one decided to knock it over, so i called my insurance company, and it was already reported to my insurance company by the party that had knocked it over. guess they got my info from my plate, so they had a claims adjuster come out and figured that its totaled, so now i have a dilemma. to take the full settlement, or take the partial and keep the bike with a salvage title, i live in pa and have never had a single accident in the 11 years that ive been driving so ive never had to deal with any of this. Is there a way that i can keep the bike without salvage titling it, or would i have to deal with all the extra paper work, they're offering $2900+, with the salvage side its only $2300. And this is my dilemma, its not my first bike, but its the only one that ive gotten attached to, now the first offer wouldnt give me enough to even look at an upgrade bike, however the second offer would give me plenty to fix what was busted with alot left over. Now would i have to recontact my insurance company about my salvage/r title, or will they be informed, and considering i wasnt at fault.... im just lost, this salvage title, insurance crap is for the birds

Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Did it roll down a hill after It got knocked over or what? How much damage was actually done? Some scratched up to plastics is no reason for the to be considered totaled.
But anyway, i'd take the bike with the salvage title, fix it up, and spend the extra cash on some upgrades

Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Totaled" is just a term that means the cash to fix whatever's broken isn't worth the value of the bike. It's usually set at 70-80% of the bike's book value. You can easily "total" an old bike by knocking it over. Plastics and labor aren't cheap.
It sounds to me like this news isn't too terrible, though. At least the person who knocked your bike over was honest enough to report it.
As for titles, you would be looking to get an r-title (reconstructed). R-titles can be registered, insured, and driven. Salvage titled vehicles can not be. The difference is that when the state issues an r-title, they're saying that the vehicle is road worthy after such a collossal accident.
Talk with your dmv and do some research on their website. Essentially, you'll have to fill out some forms, pay a small fee, and get a special inspection done on the bike to prove it's road-worthy. If it is, they issue you an r-title and you'd register/insure/ride it. If it's not considered road-worthy by the state, it's given a salvage title and can't be driven.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 AM

yeah I've already gone through and double checked every option, did some research and found out some nice information, actually talked to my mother who used to be an insurance agent for nationwide when I was little, she gave me some advice that gave me some options. With the company that claimed that my cycle is totaled, I can push it the damage estimate closer to the 70% range so that I don't have to total my bike, the adjuster said that the damage was around ~$2000, but they estimated the total bike cost was ~$2900, however NADA depicts it at ~$3200+. Now if I can negotiate with the claims adjuster, which should be easy, because for them to give me my bike at the buyback cost takes them 2 to 3 times the amount of paper work than it does if they just do either a settlement check, or repair costs, im leaning more torwards the repair costs, and I can only hope that the adjuster does the same.... wish me luck

Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 AM

oh yeah I forgot the most important piece of information that she gave me. Insurance claims are always negotiable

Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some beyatch ran into my car one time and her insurance company was going to total it. They adjusted it to like 69% of the value for me and went to cut me the check.
Only problem was that she hadn't been making her insurance payments, so I ended up with jack s hit.
And to add insult to injury, she didn't pay her fine, either, so I got subpoenaed to appear in court. I had to take the day off, lose all my overtime for the week, and the bitch didn't even show up to court anyway. They issued a warrant, but still......it didn't do anything for me.

Like I said.... it doesn't sound like you're in too bad of shape.