CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bad/fouled gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad/fouled gasoline

hey guys. 95 cbr 600 f3, 13k miles. long story short, i worked out of town for about 2 months starting 3 months ago, and my bike has been sitting since. i tried to start it up for the first time in 3 months last weekend and nothing happened, just sat there kept turning over and over and over. took the plugs out, they looked fine. checked the gas tank, and it had fuel, but not the right smell. so i drained a float bowl into a water bottle and out came a nasty **** yellow color. it didnt even smell like gasoline. so i take the tank off, drain it completely out into a 5 gallon bucket and its all **** yellow. i pull the carbs off, take the bowls off and the jets are all gummed up and nasty looking. i cleaned them before i started working out of town 3 months ago and the bike ran like a top. (i didnt know i would be working out of town for so long, so i didnt put any fuel stabilizer in it.) the idle jets were completely blocked, i had to punch through some nasty **** stuck in them. the slow jets were also completely blocked, had to punch through them. the mains were fairly clean (since the holes are so big).

i was telling my roommate about it who has a history in motorcycles and raced them and what not, and he was telling me about how he believes its the e10 ethanol/gasoline mixture that our pumps are putting out now. i read up on ethanol on the interweb and found out how destructive it is. (search for yourself for more info).

ANYWAYS. my fuel filter went from clear plastic, to a nasty dark yellowish/brownish color. i swapped it out for a new one, and also got all new fuel lines as a precaution.

side note: i have rust in my gas tank. ethanol will attack rust and debris and loosen them up and therefore they get sucked into the fuel lines (pre-fuel filter). what option do i have for getting rust out of my tank, if any????

sorry for the long story, its just more headache/problem than i can shake a stick at.

badgas.jpg?t=1286837583

Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with rust in the tank. I painted my tank over the winter and I guess while letting it sit off the bike water moisture condensed on the inside of the tank and caused it to rust. Either way, new paint job on a rusty tank, I couldn't scrap the tank.
I bought a acid etching and seaing kit on Ebay. I think it was made by Kreem. It's a 3 step process. Acid etches the tank and then seals it to prevent future rusting. It's held up since the beginning of the season. I'd recommend it.