Gasoline Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline Choice

I have heard Unocal 76 has the cleanest running fuel. What's your experience with different brands of gasoline for your CBR? I am interested in something that runs clean, and of course, performs well. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Default RE: Gasoline Choice

bp>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>

Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 PM

Try a search, I think youll find I started some interesting topics with gas and oil. Alot of good info in them.

-Did you know there are live micro organisms in gasoline and diesel fuel that create sludge and build up. Its all up to you how far you wanna take it. Regular gas, to premium with additives, many mixed views on it.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: bushmasterAR15
Did you know there are live micro organisms in gasoline and diesel fuel that create sludge and build up. Its all up to you how far you wanna take it. Regular gas, to premium with additives, many mixed views on it.
There's not supposed to be "bugs" living in the gasoline. I work in a refinery and we do microbial tests on a regular basis. Gasoline is gasoline when referring to the same octane (and other) specs. However, some brands use additives in their gas, and others don't.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bushmasterAR15

-Did you know there are live micro organisms in gasoline and diesel fuel ........
Can you substantiate that, sir?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 PM

Sunoco in NY! 94 Octane

Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM

Here's my 2cents, unless you are running track days, you shouldn't need the added performance from the 93 oct. fuel. Personally I run 93 just for piece of mind, I cant tell if i'm running 87 or 93, but then again I'm not timing myself with laps around the block either. Plus you should get 30+ mpg anyway so why not pay the little extra. lets break it down barney style 4 gallons at 2.10 per gallon is $8.40
4 gallons at 2.30 is $9.20, thats less than a dollars difference, so go with the good stuff. Now as far as which brand, according to TLC (the learning channel) most fuels are pretty much the same, but Shell does a little extra therefore you pay extra. Again that is my opinion take it as you will.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:49 PM

Ummm.... unless you don't have a choice why would you not use 93 octane? This is a high compression race engine and should be run on higher octane fuel. Am I saying it won't run on 87 octane, of course not. But I would never try it. That one time you get detonation will not be fun. Pay the extra 20 cents!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:40 AM

Top Tier fuels, standards were set by car manufacturers trying to find fuel that would meet or exceed minimum specs. I personally like BP while not on the list due to when I last checked, only the premium met or exceeded the minimums. Since my bike and car both require premium, I did not really care about the other grades.

Several are listed, and the research has already been done and established. I choose to accept the findings.

This is the retailers page, and you can of course look at some of the other information if you choose.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 AM

i run 93 in my 900 just because i've had everything cleaned and rebuilt and in my mind i think it will prolong the effects of the rebuild. i have ran the cheap stuff before and THOUGHT i could tell a performance difference. probably just a placebo type effect. i would say why not run the good stuff? if you bought a high performance machine wouldn't you want a higher performance fuel for it? the govy tells us it's better. why should we question them. <typed with sarcasm>

Quick Reply: Gasoline Choice