Gasoline Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gasoline Choice

I asked my machinist that builds race motors his opinion on the subject.

He likes Chevron gas at a station that moves a lot of gas as apposed to a dead station. 76 was his second favorite. The important thing was that they get fresh gas often. The octane levels that he prefers is 91 to 100. Anything less heats up the cumbustion chamber too much. Anything too high and the burn rate is too slow for complete combustion. Any fuels that are alcohol based do not apply. If your bike is fuel injected, the computer should fatten up the mixture if it sees too lean. He does not think that 12 to 1 is that high of a compression rating but he got hot at me when he thought that I might be using 87, I don't (91 for me).

But for my beater car, if I could **** in the tank to make it go, I would. Gas is $2.93 for 91 and $2.73 for 87 in Humboldt County, CA. They got us over the rail up here and there's nothing we can do about, except enjoy the scenery.

This subject drains my wallet, out.....

Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 AM

Thanks, cbrmarshall for answering my question as the thread has gotten a little off the track.

As far as the octane goes, I have always ran 93 on my CBR. That is not an issue for me. My issue is what other BRAND besides Unocal 76 runs clean in your engine. cbrmarshall says his machinist likes Chevron gas over Unocal 76. That's good information, but his reason is because they have fresh gas.

Someone else mentioned Shell.

Are Shell and Chevron known to run as clean as 76, if not better?

From what I've heard, even among brand names, there are high grades and low grades. Kinda like CBR compared to GSXR . Just kidding, but you get the picture. Is this true?

Old 12-13-2006, 03:54 AM

Gotta remember most all fuel in the country comes from one of only a few different places. Not enough difference to worry about as far as BP, Shell, etc. Newer gas stations have newer holding tanks with less corrosion and are less apt to leak. Thats probably more of a factor than if shell premium is better than BP premium. Cause they probably are the same.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:24 AM

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:22 AM

testing

Old 12-23-2006, 01:22 PM

i guess im lucky then. i have a company gas card and get 1 fill-up a week. speedway gas and premium (93 octane) in my car and bike always. i havent paid for gas in 4yrs. sorry to rub it in.
my firend with his h/p stang runs only BP, and only BP fuels.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:14 AM

+1 couldn't say it any better!

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

When I saw this thread posted, I cringed and was like "ooooh, someone is about to start a monkey ****-fight.". But no, everyones acting nice this time around. Hmmm.

Anyway, I'll give in my 2 cents (now worth 3.35 million dollars).

I use Premium. Why not? Yeah, it might make the oil companies richer, but oh well. If they're going to charge me 2.50/gallon for regular, I might as well take it in the *** even more and pay 2.70/gallon. Some people might say that it's all the same, but there's a reason they call it Premium.......it's Bling Gas.

Plus, if you can't beat them.......join them.......BUY THEIR STOCK........even Bill Gates needs gas.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUNOCO Ultra 94
I also own stock in petroleum

Old 12-25-2006, 01:43 PM

I think if you live in a larger metro area and use a name brand you will be OK. As long as they are getting new fuel often and it's a major brand, I don't see how you could go wrong. My wife worked for a small Gas Station/Car Wash/Convenience Store that had 2 locations. They got gas just about every day. And they got their gas from the same place the big boys did. If it's Shell, BP, Mobil, etc. I buy it.

Locally I try to always hit QuikTrip - never had a problem with them and they are nice clean stores -- and the big factor is they seem to be one of the first to lower the price and one of the last to raise it... and are generally cheaper all the time. That caught my attention and has earned my loyalty.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:27 PM

I always run premium gas either Sunoco or Hess gas works good.

Quick Reply: Gasoline Choice