CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 CBR F3 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll have to check that out because i would definitely like to fix that. Other than than it would accelerate fine like it did a year ago when i got it. how often should i get my bike serviced? im going to be getting it serviced in about a month when the whether gets nicer, what all do they do in a servicing? and could a loose chain have something to do with my throttle lag? thank you all for your help.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 AM

You can tell if your chain is loose. Under acceleration if the chain jumps a tooth you could feel it. If your worry its the chain. replace it. You wouldn't want to be riding and the chain come off.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Morgan, do you have a service manual? If not, get one. It has the recommended service intervals in it. If you really want to know the bike your wrapping your legs around, do the service yourself.
I would recommend finding an older drag or track racer local to you that is willing to hang around while you tear into the bike. You really want to do all the work, but having someone around who has done it thousands of times helps out.
I really don't think your throttle lag problem would be in the chain, but do make sure you clean and lube your chain and keep it at the spec tension.
The comment about suspension couldn't be more true. Although I had lots of response after I looked up what settings I should put on the suspension for a rider my weight. I'll get the website for you and post it up soon.
While the weather is crappy, I suggest you get the manual for the bike and pull the air box and carbs. You may have a sync issue and that could be what is affecting your throttle response. Find someone in your area who has worked on their own sport bike. OLD GUYS kick *** at standing around and telling you what your doing wrong(it helps).
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM

The race tech site has spring rate calculators for any given bike and it takes into consideration rider weight. Its a good tool.

As far as setup start with about 5 to 10mm static sag and 25 to 30mm rider sag rear, 30 to 45mm front.

If If you set your rider sag and your static sag is now off then your spring rate is wrong.

ABSOLUTELY find some old wrenches to hang with. Old racers tend to be closed and surly but there knowledge is priceless if you cen get to it. Good advice Lep.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:11 PM

Suspension,if you look.Finding a shock is the hard part.

Brakes-braided lines are great,good pads are a big help also.Avoid EBC pads at all costs,they chew up your rotors like spoiled kids go through gum.Galfer and Carbon Lorraine pads are awesome,last a while and do NOT chew up the rotors.Using good fluid (read-NOT the most expensive) is a huge help also.

Iridium plugs- easier start and last longer than regular plugs.Go to an auto parts store for these.Average price per set is $32

Jetting - THIS IS CRITICAL,and it's NOT,I repeat NOT rocket science or requiring a doctorates in theology or rabbinical studies.However,you do need someone who is paying attention to do this and do it right.If you need help,I can walk you through this.Biggest common mistake here is that people think there is more to it than there really is.

Paper air filter - don't argue with me on this.I have spent thousands racing/developing these bikes and if the others were better I'd use them.They're not.I have the dyno sheets to prove it.

Sprockets - go down to a 520 chain if you have the coin.The down 1/up 2 or 3 stuff won't help you.You want to go fast,get in the gas sooner and stay in it longer.I run and hide from my friends who all have brand new Yamahas everytime we go riding.My streetbike is a stock F2 with a pipe and suspension.

I'm not full of myself,I'm here to help.Lord knows I wish I coulda found someone to help me when I started <lol>

kjohnson888@bellsouth.net

Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM

I agree with everything kjohnson said, but I have stuck with the steel 525 chain for the longer lasting sprockets. This is not off of my experience, but the strong recommendations of my senior riders.

The benefits of less weight is obvious, but I don't know if it is a difference you can really feel.

I wish as well that I could have even know what questions to ask when I started working on my bike.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by lepy
I agree with everything kjohnson said, but I have stuck with the steel 525 chain for the longer lasting sprockets. This is not off of my experience, but the strong recommendations of my senior riders.

The benefits of less weight is obvious, but I don't know if it is a difference you can really feel.

I wish as well that I could have even know what questions to ask when I started working on my bike.
1lb of unsprung weight= 1hp

7lb of sprung weight = 1hp

yeah,the oem sprockets are pretty tough

Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM

Kjohnson, I agree with everything except t he iridium plugs, there won't be any benefit.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kerosene
Kjohnson, I agree with everything except t he iridium plugs, there won't be any benefit.
well as far as reliability goes for me personally, ive fallen in love with the iridiums, and not one has fouled on me yet. ive bought 3 or 4 sets of regs, and always had to come back to the store, and now that could be just a bad luck streak for sure, but i haven't had to touch my plugs since the iridiums. i didnt gap em, and cleaning them seems to be easier.

longer life? eh, probably not. but for me, when i put them in, my bike seemed to respond much better to the throttle. honestly im not a fan of believing a spark plug can change the world, but ive swapped the sets back and fourth thinking maybe i did something else to my bike that might have changed the throttle response and maybe i was simply blaming it on the iridiums, but my bike just likes em better i guess.

when i jetted my bike, i was told to move to iridiums because they burn hotter and because they can handle jetting better than normal plugs. now i cant really go out on a limb and say thats true, but i can say that only the iridiums so far actually like my bike jetted.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 PM

thanks for the all advice guys, this is all what i was really looking for. As far as old guys to get info from, i dont know any but im still looking. until then you guys are the best tool i have right now. Also i was going to buy a new chain, whats the main difference between 0-ring and x-ring? chains? and how many link should i get?

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 mods?