CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

96 F3 Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 F3 Wont Start

I've had this bike for 3 years and it ran great. It sat for 5 months before my last 2 hour ride. Then, it sat for another 2 months and now... it wont start. It did BARELY run for about the first 30 seconds but the strokes of the pistons sounded super weak and at very very low rpm's. Now, it'll crank and crank, but no fire. I assumed it was the carbs so I cleaned and soaked them, though I was NOT able to take out the pilot screw since I don't have the special 'D socket' tool. Synchronization has not been done either. With the carbs off, I tried to start her with starting fluid alone and got a couple random fires. I replaced the spark plugs which looked like she was running a little rich. Still wont start. Lots and lots of cranking with only 3 or 4 random fires. I'll be looking into the fuel flow to carbs, spark, and coils today, but I was trying to see if anyone had some input. Thanks to everyone for the time.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SixHundo
I've had this bike for 3 years and it ran great. It sat for 5 months before my last 2 hour ride. Then, it sat for another 2 months and now... it wont start. It did BARELY run for about the first 30 seconds but the strokes of the pistons sounded super weak and at very very low rpm's. Now, it'll crank and crank, but no fire. I assumed it was the carbs so I cleaned and soaked them, though I was NOT able to take out the pilot screw since I don't have the special 'D socket' tool. Synchronization has not been done either. With the carbs off, I tried to start her with starting fluid alone and got a couple random fires. I replaced the spark plugs which looked like she was running a little rich. Still wont start. Lots and lots of cranking with only 3 or 4 random fires. I'll be looking into the fuel flow to carbs, spark, and coils today, but I was trying to see if anyone had some input. Thanks to everyone for the time.
your pilot needs to be cleaned. you can make your own tool or cut a groove into them and use a screwdriver. make sure your battery is fully charged and get a trickle charger since you are going to be starting it a lot.

start with the plugs you just put in, make sure they are gapped and do the proper procedures of putting new plugs in (some people use dielectric grease). before you put the plugs in, add a teaspoon of oil or so to each spark plug hole. chances are with all the fuel/stuff youve added, you need to recoat the pistons in oil. i start the bike a few times with the plugs out to sink the oil onto the rings.

EDIT: also test each plug by grounding it properly outside the engine and looking for the spark.

the carbs need the pilot circuit to be cleaned (i personally boil them in lemon juice, as carb cleaner really never works for me) and make sure all of your cables move freely. you can keep the airbox/tank off for now, it will normally start just fine like that, and im also assuming you havent messed with the idle screw?

with the carbs off, spray some brake/carb cleaner (or starter fluid?) into the 4 intake holes, then attach the boots. make sure the boots are snug from the carbs to the manifold, as any leaks will make a vacuum leak that will make it harder for your bike to idle.

let me know how that goes, as its worked for me quite a bit

Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
your pilot needs to be cleaned. you can make your own tool or cut a groove into them and use a screwdriver. make sure your battery is fully charged and get a trickle charger since you are going to be starting it a lot.

start with the plugs you just put in, make sure they are gapped and do the proper procedures of putting new plugs in (some people use dielectric grease). before you put the plugs in, add a teaspoon of oil or so to each spark plug hole. chances are with all the fuel/stuff youve added, you need to recoat the pistons in oil. i start the bike a few times with the plugs out to sink the oil onto the rings.

EDIT: also test each plug by grounding it properly outside the engine and looking for the spark.

the carbs need the pilot circuit to be cleaned (i personally boil them in lemon juice, as carb cleaner really never works for me) and make sure all of your cables move freely. you can keep the airbox/tank off for now, it will normally start just fine like that, and im also assuming you havent messed with the idle screw?

with the carbs off, spray some brake/carb cleaner (or starter fluid?) into the 4 intake holes, then attach the boots. make sure the boots are snug from the carbs to the manifold, as any leaks will make a vacuum leak that will make it harder for your bike to idle.

let me know how that goes, as its worked for me quite a bit
Thanks, Spicy. The plugs are gapped, installed properly and I'm getting spark. Battery has been on a tender for days as I've anticipated this job. I'm pretty sure the idle screw HAS been messed with. Is there any way to be sure its in the ball park? Also, my pilot screws are sunk a bit into the housing, so I can't get a dremel to access just the screw heads. Can I just dremel a flat head slot on the head of the screw AND through the outer walls of the screw's housing? Otherwise, what could I make a socket out of? I saw on here that someone made one out of a spent .223 bullet cartridge, but I dont have any of those. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks, Spicy. The plugs are gapped, installed properly and I'm getting spark. Battery has been on a tender for days as I've anticipated this job. I'm pretty sure the idle screw HAS been messed with. Is there any way to be sure its in the ball park? Also, my pilot screws are sunk a bit into the housing, so I can't get a dremel to access just the screw heads. Can I just dremel a flat head slot on the head of the screw AND through the outer walls of the screw's housing? Otherwise, what could I make a socket out of? I saw on here that someone made one out of a spent .223 bullet cartridge, but I dont have any of those. Any info is greatly appreciated.
sure man!
the tool to get them can be bought at dynojet, might have to call and request, or i can send you mine if you promise to send it back

i dont wanna give you an answer to cutting into the bottom of the carbs, as im not sure since i have yet to do it myself, and dont want you to mess anything up.

but you can make your own tool if you are crafty enough, although it requires you flipping over the carbs to get to. i heard about the bullet casing idea, however i think you could come up with a creative way to do it by browsing some isles in Lowes lol.

PM me if you want me to send it to you, and whatnot.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
sure man!
the tool to get them can be bought at dynojet, might have to call and request, or i can send you mine if you promise to send it back

i dont wanna give you an answer to cutting into the bottom of the carbs, as im not sure since i have yet to do it myself, and dont want you to mess anything up.

but you can make your own tool if you are crafty enough, although it requires you flipping over the carbs to get to. i heard about the bullet casing idea, however i think you could come up with a creative way to do it by browsing some isles in Lowes lol.

PM me if you want me to send it to you, and whatnot.
Thanks for the generosity, Spicy, but I won't be needing your tool. I dremeled into it and got the pilot screws out. I found that one of my pilot screws was missing it's spring, washer and o-ring. WTF? Also, in noting the specific turns of each pilot screw, I found each carb had a significantly different number of turns in (ranging from 1/4 turn to 2 & 3/4 turns). Is this normal? As far as having messed with the idle adjuster, is there any way to know its in an appropriate position?

I know I'm getting gas into the carbs and I'm getting good spark too. Cables all run smooth. Really hoping this isn't compression related. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks to Mr. Meowmix and whoever has any ideas/information.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the generosity, Spicy, but I won't be needing your tool. I dremeled into it and got the pilot screws out. I found that one of my pilot screws was missing it's spring, washer and o-ring. WTF? Also, in noting the specific turns of each pilot screw, I found each carb had a significantly different number of turns in (ranging from 1/4 turn to 2 & 3/4 turns). Is this normal? As far as having messed with the idle adjuster, is there any way to know its in an appropriate position?

I know I'm getting gas into the carbs and I'm getting good spark too. Cables all run smooth. Really hoping this isn't compression related. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks to Mr. Meowmix and whoever has any ideas/information.
i would get some carb parts to fix that on ebay or local salvage, then reset them all to 2 turns out (unless its jetted). i think mine are at 2.5/3 somethinglike that.

grats on getting to them!
keep me updated, ill help as much as i can.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spicy's been giving you the straight skinny +1. Just be sure and do the vac sync and
pilot adjust after getting them re-mounted. Saw you figured out, that yes you can,
cut a slot straight, through the housing to convert the pilot screw to a slotted. Looks
like you're pretty dialed-in.

Ern

p.s. Hadn't heard about the di-electric grease, for the plugs. Makes sense, after
you pointed it out, though. Thanks ;-)

Last edited by MadHattr059; 01-18-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Spicy's been giving you the straight skinny +1. Just be sure and do the vac sync and
pilot adjust after getting them re-mounted. Saw you figured out, that yes you can,
cut a slot straight, through the housing to convert the pilot screw to a slotted. Looks
like you're pretty dialed-in.

Ern

p.s. Hadn't heard about the di-electric grease, for the plugs. Makes sense, after
you pointed it out, though. Thanks ;-)
i had to do that to the cb550f for fear that a wrong ground could weld the plugs on!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 AM

Still no luck getting her started. I replaced the missing pilot screw spring and o-ring and put the carbs back on after cleaning them. I also adjusted the valves with new shims. Not sure where to go next. I'll be testing for compression tomorrow, but I want to know if anyone's got any ideas... where would YOU go next? thanks.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Nobody?

Quick Reply: 96 F3 Wont Start