CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

96 F3 Intermittent Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 F3 Intermittent Blinkers

Hope ya'll all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Having issues with my bike. While riding Wednesday, I noticed my turn signals would come on but would not blink. I also heard a weird buzzing sound, couldn't really tell where it was coming from. I found an open wire and repaired the wire. They worked for a while, but a few ignition cycles later, they wouldn't blink again. (Apparently that wire wasn't my blinker issue.)

I have not taken the time to put a meter on any of the wires, I wanted to see if anybody can tell me if these bikes have a flasher relay like a car that I could check? The bike has flushmounts up front and some tiny "carbon fiber" turns in the back, and the previous owner did a very messy wiring job, although his connections seem good enough at a glance. (I plan on doing a '97-'98 tail fairing and integrated LED taillight.)

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The original relay is mounted under/behind the guages on the right side of the bike.
If the PO was a ham-fist with the wiring, I'd go through trimming and re-wiring the
entire harness now. Saves doing it on the side of the road. ;-) Clean-up and replace any questionable connections, inspect for loose/frayed spots and/or mis-routed wiring.

If any of your connectors look damaged/poor shape, go to
OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's through 1970's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha the can hook you up and they won't leave you waiting. Very fast shipping. ;-)

Good luck, Ern

Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
The original relay is mounted under/behind the guages on the right side of the bike.
If the PO was a ham-fist with the wiring, I'd go through trimming and re-wiring the
entire harness now. Saves doing it on the side of the road. ;-) Clean-up and replace any questionable connections, inspect for loose/frayed spots and/or mis-routed wiring.

Good luck, Ern
Thanks! Took the plastics off today after work and found out the flasher relay is bad. Also took the time to wire in a LED tag light (there was some kind of homemade looking bulb stuck under the tail with double-sided tape; the LED bar looks much cleaner) and clean up some messy wiring. Looks like whoever hacked the wiring only got to the turn signals, nothing I can't fix if I spend a little time on it.

Anybody got a flasher relay laying around?