CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

96 F3 getting painted

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 F3 getting painted

I have my bike in the shop getting repsol racing style paint job. While it is naked I was curious to a few recommendations.

First is tire recommendation for Florida during the rainy season.
I would like to lower the back but have not been able to find a resonable lowering link. I must have one to lower the bike(back, front has been lowered) correct? I do not like the forward lean but like my bike low.

One thing I have noticed sense I adjusted my chain I am getting a rubbing in I believe one of the sprockets when I ride. If the bike is lifted I can spin the wheel and at a certain point the tire wants to stop as it seems it is rubbing on something. I beleive it is either the front sprocket or just the chain itself because my bearings on my chain are going.

Any help will be appreciated, I am new to bike knowledge and have a lot to learn as to the bike itself.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the tire, there really is no great tire for rain as these bikes ride terrible in the rain (as far as turning, accelerating, etc). They just don't have much of a contact patch on the road and no tire is going to be able to compensate for that in the rain while still being able to turn well. All you can do when riding in the rain (I'm in central FL, so I totally understand the concern) is to ride conservatively in wet weather and ride very defensively. If you haven't already, I highly recommend getting a rainsuit and keeping it on you when riding. Mine has saved me many a time on the way home from work!

Now for tire recommendations, you'll get many. Personally, I run Bridgestone Battlax BT021s. They're a dual compound tire, which means the inner is made of harder rubber and thus will last longer. What kind of riding do you do? For me, this tire allows me to commute and put a lot of straight miles on and still go out and run the twisties semi-aggressive on the weekends. They're my recommendation for street tires.

As to the lowering, I personally would say that unless you have height issues you should put the front back up and leave it stock in the rear. Being new to bikes, you may not know that lowering a bike will mess with the geometry and will make it handle worse. It's up to you, but you should consider this if you're actually intending to ride the thing in any fashion other than straight. You'll probably hear a lot of the same from others. Lowering and stretching bikes is not particularly popular around here, as this is a community of people who love to ride as opposed to show their bikes and doing such things really reduce a bike's capabilities. But if you decide it's for you, don't let the inevitable flaming dissuade you.

There's a lot of helpful folks on here, so don't be shy about asking more questions. Welcome.

Last edited by chuckbear; 02-10-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and throw some pics up when you get your bike back from the paint shop!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Default Thx

I will throw some pictures up when it is done for sure!

The only reason I need it lowered is because I can sit flat footed, but when I walk the bike I have trouble because I can only use my toes. I onlt want to lower it slightly so I can walk my bike forward and back comfortably. Also makes the bike feel slightly less top heavy and helps me corner. Any changes I make I test out before I ride.

My riding style is probrably more like yours, work on the weekdays, and leaisure let it rip on the weekend. However I am just trying to get my bike in best shape possible handling and equiptment wise before I push my bike to much.

I am deciding on fixing this one (CBR F3) up and giving it to my brother when I get a new bigger CBR.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 PM

A tire that i have that i recommend for your area is Dunlop D220, i have a rear on my bike now. I get caught in the rain sometimes when i ride to work and back and it provides a good grip in the rain due to its agressive tread pattern. As for dry weather, it handles REALLY well for the twisties but it takes a little longer to warm up

Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can flat foot the bike, there's nothing wrong with the height. Going forward, use 1st gear and the friction zone. Basically put it in 1st and let out the clutch just enough the engine catches. It'll pull the bike easily. If you try to muscle it forward you're gonna hurt something. Prolly the bike when you put your foot in a patch of oil / dirt / etc and it slips out from under you (welcome to your first N00b Drop! )

Going backwards is a little tougher but try this: put the bike in neutral, sit straight up in the seat with you feet flat, put both hands on the gas tank and walk backwards. Use your hands like you're 'pulling' the bike back by the gas tank. Trying to pull back using the bars doesn't work well. Your body is out of position to put leverage into it.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 AM

hahaha, well the previous owner was over 6 foot. my step dad is 6'4 and he says its perfect for him. I am 5'9. Forward is not a problem. I am not new to riding just mostly to the mechanical side because I always rode my roommates bike. My driveway is not smooth and even on a road backing up even with all techniques is not suitable. I am guessing your next response will be get some taller boots. I have learned about those oil slicks but was able to save it Most people are against it so I may just deal with it until I get a new bike and give mine to my brother because he is a little taller than me.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5' 10" (5' 11" according to docs). Had issues backing up till I saw a guy at work backing up like that.

If you're feeling daring, you can always try spinning her around on the kickstand