CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

'96 CBR 600 F3 Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 02:55 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default '96 CBR 600 F3 Project

So, I can't seem to stay away from the F2/F3 platform. I found a '96 F3 local and got a great deal, clean Florida title included. Plan for now is to get it sorted and running, and go from there. Got it unloaded, up on the stands, and started initial inspection. I couldn't let it sit there looking so sad so I tossed on the plastics I have for motivation to see it through to the end.

Old 10-05-2021, 03:04 PM

Initial list of what it needs:
Replace ignition switch/re-wire
Fresh oil/filter
Carb cleaning/rebuild
Fuel pump/lines
Clean tank, new petcock
Sort out ram air hose routing (solenoid is gone, front air tubes also)
Brakes (pads, lines, master cylinders)
New rear shock
Rebuild front forks
Chain/Sprockets
Right/Left controls, levers, grips
Rear sets and pegs
Speed sensor
Bearings (both wheels, steering stem, swingarm)
Tires
Remove surface rust and repaint (swingarm, frame, triple clamps)
Front fender (the one I have is for F2, might just cut/modify to make it fit)

Plenty of things to do, but going to start with the ignition switch and go from there. The original ignition switch is smashed, and the wiring harness is chopped, need to sort out where each of those wires go. I have a replacement ignition, but will need to sort out which wires go where. If anybody has a similar ignition and knows how to wire it, I'm thankful for the help.

Old 10-05-2021, 04:53 PM

Some pictures of the ignition switch for reference. On the original F3 wiring, the red wire goes to the main fuse, red/black goes to fuse box for powering signals, lights, horn, gauge cluster lights, ignition coils and starter, and blue/orange goes to fuse box for the fan motor.

Can't find any identifying marks on the replacement switch, so not sure how to wire it. Plan to go from the switch: red to red for main fuse, blue/yellow to blue/orange, and black to red/black. What am I going to damage besides fuses if this wiring is wrong? Any electrical gurus here?

Old 10-05-2021, 08:51 PM

First step out of the way. Got the smashed-up ignition switch out (Small sledge hammer and a chisel), wired and installed the new switch, replaced the blown main fuse, connected the new controls, and it turns over at the first touch of the start button. The rusty old horn even works! I'm really happy with results so far, have ~ 5 hours into this, including 3 hours for picking up the bike and parts. If anybody has a switch like this, black to red for main fuse, red to red/black and blue/yellow to blue/orange did the trick.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chobes
So, I can't seem to stay away from the F2/F3 platform. I found a '96 F3 local and got a great deal, clean Florida title included. Plan for now is to get it sorted and running, and go from there. Got it unloaded, up on the stands, and started initial inspection. I couldn't let it sit there looking so sad so I tossed on the plastics I have for motivation to see it through to the end.

congrats man! Looks like a fun build. I’m still in the process of working on mine. Before you do anything else. Take those plastics back off. Drain all fluids. If there’s water anywhere in the tank that’s going to suck!

id suggest inspecting the oil pan to see if there are any metal fragments along with the oil filter before you buy any parts. This was my mistake.

( to take off the oil pan you need to remove the exhaust) and then to remove the actual oil pan there are what seems like 1000 10mm bolts.

ive finished the cosmetics of my bike if you’d like to see!!

-Denali

Old 10-05-2021, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chobes

And this is my personal preference, but, I think that bikes without fairings remain timeless. Just the RAW-ness and the beauty of that engine I mean DAMN!!! Seriously! Give it a shot. I welded my own subframe. Again lmk if you want to see or need advice!

Old 10-06-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Denali
congrats man! Looks like a fun build. I’m still in the process of working on mine. Before you do anything else. Take those plastics back off. Drain all fluids. If there’s water anywhere in the tank that’s going to suck! id suggest inspecting the oil pan to see if there are any metal fragments along with the oil filter before you buy any parts. This was my mistake. ( to take off the oil pan you need to remove the exhaust) and then to remove the actual oil pan there are what seems like 1000 10mm bolts. ive finished the cosmetics of my bike if you’d like to see!!
-Denali
Thanks for the response. I only put the plastics there to get an idea of what it might look like once completed. Now that the wiring is sorted and ignition is functional, the next step is to clean the carbs, install a fuel pump, clean the tank (it's dry, but has some residue), new fuel lines, new oil and coolant, and see if it fires up. This is my 5th F2/F3, so I'm quite familiar with the platform. And is this will be dedicated track bike, it's definitely getting full plastics installed, only need the Sharkskinz lowers to complete it.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:10 PM

Also, if anyone has a line on parts, please let me know. I have inquiries through eBay, but the prices there are pretty high at the moment.

Items Needed:
Fuel pump with fuel hoses up to the carburetors
Speed sensor - Found one
Rear shock

Nice to haves:
F2 upper fairing stay
F3 front fender
Front/Rear brakes, from master cylinder to caliper
Rear inner fender/tire hugger - F3
Battery cover
Front stem and triple clamps
Swingarm

Last edited by chobes; 10-07-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default odds and ends

The following users liked this post:
chobes (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by cd176
Odds and Ends
Thanks for the pics, sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: '96 CBR 600 F3 Project