CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

95 f3 Idles high after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 f3 Idles high after rebuild

I wrecked the bike about 6 months ago and i have been working on it here and there for a while. This month I got a motor for the bike and did a motor swap. The bike fires up and runs. Bike seems to run a lil sluggish compared to my f4i, but i think the bike is running normal. The problem though isthat the bike idles at 4k upon start up. When i ride the bike continues to rev high at 4k. I tried the idle screw. twisting it out to lower the idle rev but that had no affect on the 4k rev. I noticed though if i take the throttle and force it close the revs will drop ~500. I am 99% the throttle is hooked up correct. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing the bike to idle so high?

I am still burning old gas through the engine, i added octane booster to it though. I am also going to run fuel & carb cleaner through the bike tomorrow.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for work I should do to the bike. Ex replace fluids ect. I am planning on replacing all the fluids brake, coolant, oil. I have new brake pads on the bike already. I am redoing the bike as a street fighter since fairings cost way to much. I plan on painting a good bit of the bike possibly the frame. I can't wait to get the bike running on the road again. I have way to many memories with thebike, plus it would be nice to make this my everyday rider instead of the f4i.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Default RE: 95 f3 Idles high after rebuild

My best guess is your choke is stuckon. My bike revs around 4-5k on idle with the choke on. Remove choke about 1,500 with it supposed to be at 1,200 but for now I wanted a higher idle.

I'd strip the bike down to about this point...

Then check to make sure the choke is engaging and disengaging.

Here is a picture of where the choke cable connects to the carbs...

Which with the choke off that wire should be relaxed. But make sure the choke housing is clamped down by the right bracket. When the choke gets pulled on the left peice at the end of the choke cable should pull to your right. If it doesn't pull because it's stuck there then your choke is on and needs to be fixed.

Sorry it's a little scattered. Just got off a long day of work but I hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:30 PM

wow thats a pretty quick and good response. I actually didnt check the choke although it should be hooked up correctly or not connected at all. I tend to forget to hook it up. Is there any otherideas as to why its ideling so high? Carb tune? I am going to try to put a different set of carbs on the bike tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 PM

F taking the carbs off and replacing. Much better ways to do it.

The guy who redid my carbs put slots in the mixture screws so I could use a flathead screwdriver on it. I doubt yours did that but it is possible. I'd check that and then try to adjust those if sloted. If not you need to take it somewhere and have it tuned or buy the the D (as in the special honda tool has a "D" shaped head to it) tool from Honda and adjust it with that.

You do that by turning your idler screws in all the way until it seats(Don't torque down on them). Then bring each of them out 1 and 1/4 turn. I'm nottoo sure about the turns but I think on the F3s you do 1-1/4 and the F2s 2-1/4. I'll check my manual tonight and let you know forsure. Unfortunately I doubt you have a Tach that reads within the 50rpm range to let you fully tune it. But if you can seat them then twist them out 1 and 1/4 that should put your close. At that point you should be able to adjust your idle to 1,200 RPMs which is the desired setting.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 PM

I think you mis understood me i have a extra set of carbs. When i bought the new motor he gave me the carbs and airbox with the motor purchase, Pretty good deal for 350$. Gotta love how much of a influence cash has.

I will also check out the manual and see what it says about tuning the carbs.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 PM

Gotcha. But I'd still try to mess with the originals. It can only be a few things.

I guess if you decide to switch the carbs when you get down to my first picture. I'd messed with things and do some checks. First I guess would be to look at the choke and make sure it's functioning properly. 2nd thing would look at your throttle return spring and make sure it's not getting hung up. Possibly put some cable lube into the throttle cable and loosen things up.

If that fails replacing the carbs with your other set could be another option. Which that'll give you time to rip your other carbs apart to inspect them.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Or maybe you routed your throttle/choke cables wrong.Done that once or twice myself [:@]