CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

'95 F3, Coolant in oil, NO oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

I honestly don't know. There are people on here that have a lot more top end experience than me. They may have some insight

Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car 600 f3

Originally Posted by hungrycamel
Update: fixed it. Absolutely the dumbest, smallest thing that cost me way too much time and money.

Turns out the two sealing plugs in the head had backed out so far that coolant was weeping right past the threads. Torqued them down and the system has been holding steady pressure for ten minutes.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Where are these screws located?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When casting something as complex as an engine head with a metal that cools as fast as aluminum, the 'pour' must happen quickly. Experimentation with early revision parts may show the engineers sections of the casting that can form air pockets that are resistant to the flow of the molten metal. In such cases, a 'port' is usually introduced to the casting that allows for the quick escape of trapped air. Such a spot in the casting may require machining and plugging before the part is ready for service.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by hungrycamel
I've tried almost everything, and it hasn't worked so far so any suggestions are welcome.
The oil is very milky and clearly mixing with coolant.

I replaced the head gasket with an OEM replacement and flushed the oil 2 times with no change. I did everything according to the manual, using a torque wrench, and ensuring the mating surfaces were clean.

I did a full "rebuild" of the oil cooler, which included all new orings and even the little metal collars. I ran the bike, then parked it for a few weeks; when I came back, I drained the oil cold, and got a small stream of coolant before milky oil started draining. Flushed the oil 3 times, allowing the bike to warm up thoroughly and giving it some revs to cycle the oil, and it still comes out as a very light brown that's far too thin.

The weep hole on my water pump indicating a bad seal is completely bone dry. I removed the pump and it looks fine. I cannot find a new replacement, but there are some used ones on eBay. I'm hesitant to buy them because who's to say the same problem doesn't affect those?

The bike runs great aside from some mild rattling that I'm confident is just the CCT. The exhaust doesn't blow smoke. There are no unusual leaks anywhere. I have not replaced the oil filter because I didn't want to waste a new one while flushing the oil. I doubt that the small amount of contaminated oil in there could contaminate 3.4 liters of fresh stuff 5 times over.

The coolant is very clean with no contamination visible. The rad cap DOES have a little "sludge" stuff on it, but it seems more like dirt/grime from the bike's age rather than oil. I drained the coolant tonight to remove the water pump, and it looked very clear and clean.

I fear the worst, that the head is cracked or warped, seeping coolant into the oil, but I don't understand how it wouldn't go both ways even a little bit. I understand the concept of one pressure being higher than the other, but at low temperatures, wouldn't oil run at a higher pressure than the coolant, pushing oil into the coolant instead? I guess my next course of action is to buy another water pump, and getting another used one is a gamble. If anyone knows any better solution or where to get a new pump, please let me know.
You can get a florescent dye that you empty in to the rad with your coolant. It's only a tiny bottle , looks like the sort the doctor jabbs a needle in to, anyway tip that in & run the bike let it circulate then go round the motor& rad, everything with a florescent light, you can get a cheap one off eBay. You will then see where your coolant is going, then then you'll have a better idea of what's wrong and where to start