CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Won’t go in gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won’t go in gear

Just managed to get my New to Me CBR600F2 up and running after a battle with previous owners F**k ups went to put in gear and cuts out it only goes in neutral and 1st the latter only when not running is it the transmission or clutch

The following users liked this post:
JeremyR80 (11-27-2023)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:03 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If the bike is running and you put it into 1st gear and the engine dies, the most likely problem is your kickstand safety switch.
Make sure it's connected and working.

If the engine is not running and the rear tire is not turning, you will have a hard time getting the bike to shift.
That's just the way motorcycle transmissions are.

If you want to check the shifting itself, put the bike on the centerstand or rear stand.
ziptie or tape the clutch lever to the bar.
Then spin the rear tire slowly with one hand and move the shift lever up & down with the other.
With the rear wheel turning, you should be able to shift through the gears.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:07 PM

Every time put in gear just cuts out clutch fully in knock down then just cuts straight out

Old 07-30-2020, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 313 Likes on 257 Posts

like Phil said it is likely your kickstand switch.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:16 PM

When stand down it won’t start at all and the light on dash is on when it’s down so not stand that’s the first thing I checked I will do short vid and post tomoz

Old 08-02-2020, 08:31 PM

I checked stand sensor which is all in good working order, so after half hour on multimeter I found the problem it was neutral sensor I just jumped the neutral switch (white wire )on the connector to the positive and it works, only problem is the neutral light stays on, so I will have to get a new sensor. I will post pic of what wires I jumped tomos well after Couple weeks work sorting all of previous owners poor work, I have can finally take Her for a Spin and She runs great...thanks for help ppl STAY SAFE!!!

Last edited by Christo Christo; 08-02-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Christo Christo
I checked stand sensor which is all in good working order, so after half hour on multimeter I found the problem it was neutral sensor I just jumped the neutral switch (white wire )on the connector to the positive and it works, only problem is the neutral light stays on, so I will have to get a new sensor. I will post pic of what wires I jumped tomos well after Couple weeks work sorting all of previous owners poor work, I have can finally take Her for a Spin and She runs great...thanks for help ppl STAY SAFE!!!
That doesn't make sense to me. The neutral switch will prevent you from starting the bike in gear - it's interlocked with the starter switch and the clutch lever.
But the neutral switch has no effect on an already running bike. A bike will run in neutral or in gear.
And of course the light is always on now. You bypassed the switch. That tells me the switch is working just fine.

The kickstand is the one thing I can think of that will kill the engine when it's in gear.
Is it possible that the kickstand switch is fine, but it's wired wrong somehow?
The kickstand wire may split somewhere going to both the dash and the ignition.
So the dash light works but the ignition thinks the kickstand is down.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:52 PM

Stand is fine cuts the engine out wen it goes down,
I still don’t know what exact problem was but it’s working now it
every time I put in gear with clutch in just cut out I jumped the wire under seat were all the wires lead the one that sends power to neutral light I bypassed the switch am not to good with electric probs so sorry if am not making sense all I know is I tried every switch with the multimeter and they worked fine so just tried loads of things am just happy worked and able to use My Bike instead sitting in the thinking chair scratching me b* erm head wondering why won’t start in gear

Last edited by Christo Christo; 08-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:02 PM

I will double check all wires on weekend and see if missed a break or if something else pops up thanks

Old 08-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I know what you are saying.
It just sucks buying parts, replacing them and it doesn't fix the problem.
And with the neutral bypassed, if you bump the starter button with the bike in gear, it will try to start and the bike will jump.
You run the risk of dropping the bike or worse, just be aware.

Quick Reply: Won’t go in gear