CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Wider Rear Wheel for F2

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wider Rear Wheel for F2

Does anyone know if I can put a newer wider rear wheel on my F2. I know KoKo used a cbr 900 rear wheel but he had to machine a bunch of stuff. I want to use a 180 tire for track days. I dont care if it is mismatched style. I dont want 180 tire on my stock wheel because of profile distortion. I thought maybe a F4 wheel might work with just some spacer swapping. I might go with cbr 900 rear wheel but do I machine my F2 sprocket carrier of do I need the 900 sprocket carrier. I looked at my stock stuff and the concept I see is my sprocket needs to stay where it is at so it stays in line with the front sprocket. Then everything else need to be adjust with spacer or machining. Also the wheel so to speak needs to stay where it at to stay in line with the front. Also it kind of looks like the chain might touch the tire when all things are fininshed.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Would an F3 rear wheel be an upgrade or would that be a waste of time. I know its a half inch wider. Some one said to do it it would be just spacer swap only. I know a 180 series tire is still not recommended for the f3 wheel but I could use the 170 tire. Still I would like to use 5.5 inch wheel and 180 tire. But it seems a little complicated.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 AM

I guess no one gives a hoot. Thanks anyway

Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been done. If you google around for a bit you can find all the documentation and drawings. You have to do some adjustments in regards to the sprocket carrier as I recall and the wheel spacers.

Feel free to try it yourself and see what results you get.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Why does he machine the hub thinner then add spacers to push the sprocket out. Why not leave it where it was. To leave the sprocket where it is so it lines up with the front sprocket I dont think there is enough room without the chain hitting the tire. I measured clearance between my 160 tire and chain. About .375 . A 180 tire is theory would mean it would be 10mm wider on each side of the wheel. So 10mm is approximatly .400. And I dont think there is enough room. The 900 wheel is probably thicker where the axle goes through. So I understand you need to move the sprocket closer to the wheel to keep the sprocket in line with the front sprocket. Just confusing thats all and I hate to spend the money on stuff that aint going to work or me screw up.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM

just an FYI.. you do NOT need a 180 on the F2 to drag knee/rail hard at trackdays... just get a set of stock size sticky tires and setup the suspension correctly... i used the stock suspension even... i could have been faster on a good suspension but it wasnt needed.. as i was running with the slower guys.... if youre going with A group then get the suspension done and a set of slicks and youll be set....

it was my weapon of choice back in late 90's while back home in rainsylvania... had a LOT of fun on that bike and learned more about going fast in a weekend of trackdays than i had in 15yrs of street riding.....

Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 PM

I have stock size Q2 tires now. I have done 4 trackdays this year, one at Summit Point main track and 3 at Summit's Shenandoah circuit. I am dragging my knees around both tracks. Bike handles pretty dam good. I just thought a wider rear wheel with 180 size tire would be better, thats all. Thanks for your input. Probly just go with f3 wheel since its half inch wider and go with 170 tire. And a whole bunch easier to do than 900 rim.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I have stock size Q2 tires now. I have done 4 trackdays this year, one at Summit Point main track and 3 at Summit's Shenandoah circuit. I am dragging my knees around both tracks. Bike handles pretty dam good. I just thought a wider rear wheel with 180 size tire would be better, thats all. Thanks for your input. Probly just go with f3 wheel since its half inch wider and go with 170 tire. And a whole bunch easier to do than 900 rim.
same tracks i was running.. i ran with www.nesba.com and had a blast..... used to be a AWESOME organization but ive heard a few bad things over the last couple years... might be different people running it now....
that 180 from the front straight to the back straight intimidated me for a long time... i actually ran off there my very first 20min session on like lap 2..
poconos was my other track i was running. had my first REAL bike accident there... highsided coming back onto the straight stretch over the tunnel... oh and F2's crash well....
anyways have fun .. i miss doing trackdays.....

Old 08-13-2011, 08:21 PM

I am doing Roger Lyle Motorcycle Xcitement trackdays. I used to race CCS at Summit Point main 15 years ago. Just started doing trackdays this year. Shenandoah is a awesome track. 22 turns in 2.2 miles. You dont have the top speed like Summit main but to me it all about knee dragging. If I wanted high top speed I would just go up and down the interstate on my 08 1K cbr. It about 3hrs from my house so I just drive down 3 am Sunday mornings and get home about 9 pm Sunday evening. Dont have to miss any work, even though I have days to burn. If you miss doing track days enough you will start doing them again unless you dont have a bike any more.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Why does he machine the hub thinner then add spacers to push the sprocket out. Why not leave it where it was. To leave the sprocket where it is so it lines up with the front sprocket I dont think there is enough room without the chain hitting the tire. I measured clearance between my 160 tire and chain. About .375 . A 180 tire is theory would mean it would be 10mm wider on each side of the wheel. So 10mm is approximatly .400. And I dont think there is enough room. The 900 wheel is probably thicker where the axle goes through. So I understand you need to move the sprocket closer to the wheel to keep the sprocket in line with the front sprocket. Just confusing thats all and I hate to spend the money on stuff that aint going to work or me screw up.
I have no idea why he did that either, i didnt do it that way with mine. There is enough room for the chain not to hit the tyre, it's close but the chain misses the tyre and there is room to get tyre warmers on.

The 900 wheel use the same diameter spindle (axle).

I converted mine so i could run moden supersport race tyres.

CBR 600 F2 Thunderbike: Machining work to fit Fireblade rear wheel to CRB600F2

I also had to make a new brake carrier and two new spacers on the brake side. In the end i fitted a different bearing in the wheel that side and made captive spacers.