CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Why could be wrong? Please advise!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why could be wrong? Please advise!

Hi Guys,

I have a Honda CBR600 F2 1992 bike and I live in the London (England).

The bike is currently parked up outside my house (covered/secured) and has been for about a month now or litter more due to winter (I usually park up in winter).

About 2 weeks ago, I started the bike and let the engine run for about 30 minutes, no problems.

Today (15/12/2012) I did everything as usual but when I pressed the electric start button, it tried to start but it made this noise (difficult to describe) like a knock or a snap and since my bike wont start.

When I insert the key and put in ignition, everything appears normal until I press the electric button. In ignition, I see the Neutral light, Side-stand light and the oil light (all brightly lit). When I press the electric key, it makes a loud TICK?

The battery was changed few months back. I am inclined to think that it might be the battery but when I recall the noise which sounded when I first attempted to start....it seems as if something has blown up (spark plug / fuse etc) or snapped (I could be wrong). Could it be something to with the starter motor?

All light come up in ignition but you only hear TICK when you press the electric button.

I will remove the battery tomorrow and recharge it and try again.

Please let me know of your opinions/advise/suggestions as to what the problem could be or how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

As.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Come on guys.......surely someone has something to say?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Low battery. Get a trickle charger to keep it charged during winter.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Thanks. I'll do that. I am hoping its nothing else.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tick is the starter relay between your battery and your starter. Find a Battery tender Jr. on ebay for around $25. You will have a small plug you will permantly keep on your battery and plug the wall connection into it when needed to charge. Now if that doesn't fix the problem, the starter is the next culprit after changing the fuse on the relay.

Remember, you do not actually charge the battery at idling. You must be riding it to start charging the battery, idling is just really draining the battery till you are actually moving

Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

If it makes a loud click noise but wont turn my guess goes pretty heavily on the starter itself. The click you hear is most likely the bendix wheel being pulled onto the flywheel by the solenoid, but for some reason the the motor itself doesn't fire. Try tapping the starter with a small hammer or something or press the start button to make want to start and move the bike back and forth a little to make the starter motor move a bit. Usually if the starter's gone (broken wire somwhere in the coils) you can get it turning by hitting it with something. And if it does turn after hitting it it pretty clearly proves it's busted and need to be replaced. Changing a starter motor is a very easy job and I can say with great confidence if you can get to it (pull the plastics etc) you can change it too. Just remember to not let the master cable hit the frame, or you short the battery!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your connections too - A loose battery cable could cause what you're experiencing too.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks guys!

I'll follow your advise and let you know what happends.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks everyone! I got it started, it was the battery!

I removed the battery and left it in charge overnight. In the meantime I disconnected the regulator and all other connections, cleaned them. I also cleaned the battery terminals. I also knocked/tapped few things around.
At the end I re-connected all connections and re-fitted the battery.

I turned on the ignition and pressed start, same loud Tick/Click. I then shook the bike from left to right and walked the bike and pressed the from brakes a few times. Tried again, few more ticks. Now, I walked it and pressed the start and it went brrrrrrrummmmmm!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

...based on that I`m still inclined on saying your starter is shot... Will it start every time now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why could be wrong? Please advise!