CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Where is the F2 key code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the F2 key code?

I need a key for my gas cap.

I have the original, broken ignition lock. But where is the key code?

I see some letters on the back next to some other letters, which seem to be related to the ignition wiring... but these aren't.

It's two letters and a number. Is this the key code?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Default RE: Where is the F2 key code?

DOH, now I feel silly.

The STAMPED code is where the steering lock comes out, not on the back of the lock where the wiring goes.

It's a 6-digit code... with two letters in it.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the code you would be looking for was on the original key, and has been long gone. - For security reasons I don't think they have keycodes anywhere on the bike. - Take the IGN to a locksmith - they can get it open, and work backwards to get you a key that should work in your tank as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM

IIRC they stamp the key code on the ignition lock (which is bolted to the bike with star bolts) and to the bottom of the fuel cap (which I can't get off unless I destroy it, or pick it).

Yes, it IS a security risk (some people write the numbers down and then grind them off), but it's relatively hard to get to either one of them without dissassembling the bike.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM

With automobiles you can take the VIN# to the dealer and get an extra key made. Can Honda do this?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

With automobiles you can take the VIN# to the dealer and get an extra key made. Can Honda do this?
FYI - GM is cracking down on this. - Used to be a call to the dealer with a VIN and a drivers license is all you need.(My mom managed to lock herself out of her Caddy in Bismarck one Saturday afternoon - they quickly and easily got her a key made) - Last time I had to get a key made at my usual dealer that I've dealt with for 10+ years they made me bring in the TITLE - yes, the Title, and 2 other ID's (Drivers License and Insurance paperwork). - They had to photocopy all this and send it off to GM before they would even cut the key for me...

AND - for the keycode - I stand corrected - I have a lockset in front of me (Ign and Gas Cap) they have a Alpha code on the back (Right by the locking pin - the set needs to be removed to get this code.- I would think if you took that code into a dealer with some proof of ownership would get you a key. - Oh the tank key only uses 5 of the 8 cuts on the key, so it's code is only 3 characters long (IE the IGN says 1XC062 and the Cap says 1XC)

Old 01-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Hmm, I could probably pick it if I actually had a lockpick set...

The local Honda dealer told me they can't (or wouldn't) get a key cut from just a VIN, and they told me to get a local locksmith to cut a key from the lock code...

I just hope it's a REASONBLE price (I've heard prices vary from 25 to 200 dollars for locksmith work).

Old 01-16-2008, 07:19 PM

$200?!?! That's like 3-4 hours of work to cut a key. I'd rather just buy a new set from someone.

As far as the car dealers go, I got a key cut by Chrysler two years ago and one cut by GM last year. Both required the registration in my name and my license. I don't even remember giving proof on insurance.

Anyway, the info is good to know about where to find key codes. I saw a decent bike on Craigslist here that needed a bit of motor work along with a new lock cylinder. Price was cheap enough though to make it worth the chance.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 PM

I think that might have been the price to find a key with JUST the lock? I'm not sure. Most people charge about 25 or 30 to grind a key based on a code, I think.

I have a working lot set on my bike WITH key... but I don't have the key for the fuel cap (they're not the same code).

Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Apparently the code on the switch is no good... at least according to the local locksmith.

WTF?!?!

Quick Reply: Where is the F2 key code?