CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Update on my project F2

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my project F2

So I posted a while back about getting my f2 and it needing a lot of work. I have finally found a little but of time to work on it. Last night made a huge bit of progress. The bike I bought basiccly needed an over haul on almost everything mechanically. I ended up buying a parts f2 to swap what I needed. Currently I have fixed everything except the motor. Last night I had both motors opened and split. Next is cleaning parts and swapping the better looking pistons and rods. Some might not call this a huge challenge, but for me, I have never taken anything with a motor apart in my life. My neighbor who is a mechanic has been giving me a few pointers but I'm on the path to finishing this project hopefully in a week or so. I have been taking pictures a lot the way and will post a build thread when finished. This will be a huge accomplishment when I'm done. Wish me luck.

Thanks for any and all advice people have given me.

Stay hard and ride safe!!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard the pistons need to come out the top, not the bottom. There is a groove or something at the bottom the rings would get stuck in and then you would never get the pistons out. I heard. Keep us updated.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fun. You really do get a huge feeling of accomplishment when you successfully disassemble and reassemble an engine and it actually runs afterwards. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM

I found out the hard way last night about pulling the pistons out though the motor towards the inside.. yes there is a small lip that the piston skirt hits and cant clear. the problem with getting them out, was all the rust on the top of the pistons and on the walls of what the pistons sit in. the motor was very neglected.. when I pulled the exhaust off there was about 1gal of murky rusty coolant that leaked from the head gasket. hints the rust.

the feeling of just getting it apart without breaking anything was an acomplishment in it self. We will see if I can get it to work though. Im assuming If i can get it apart, I should be able to get it back together.

Going to see if I can re read on how to post pictures and will start posting while Im stuck at here at work.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 AM

So between work, kids, and stuff around the house, I have managed to get the motor together and put on the accessories. Have about 2 hours of work until the motor is back on the bike. Then about another 2 hours of wiring. Hopefully the bike turns over tonight. We will see.

Motor is rebuilt, tires swapped, all I need now is some time and my fuel tank cleaned out.

Crossing fingers it works!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 AM

after a very long 6 hours on the bike, all that is left is filling her full of fluids and trying to turn her over. motors in, Wiring is done. we will find out tomorrow

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM

so i must have missed something. Put it all back together, filled with fluids and wont start. battery is good. starter is good. The silinoid where the main fuse just clicks over and over. as if the battery was bad. But had it checked.... for some reason the starter isnt able to turn the crank. Everything was torc to specs. any ideas? ive swapped the silinoid and still no luck. even took out a spark pulg to lower the compression and still wont turn..

any ideas would help!!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the starter motor even engaging? Take the starter out of the motor(still with the wire connected) a touch another wire from the frame(ground the wire) and touch it anywhere to the starter and see if you can spin the starter by hit the fire(start) button on the throttle. If it doesn't spin, dead starter.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Tested the started and that's fine. Even swapped it with my spare that also worked when tested. It seems like the small gear is locked up. The only other thing I can think is the timing chain was super tight. It's kinda a one size fits all though. Thinking that the chain could be tit because of a tensioner maybe a cam is a hair out of place.. Even though I checked it several times before putting opts the cam covers on. I was able to turn the crank by hand before adding the plugs.

Any other ideas...

Question. If I Able to take the cover off and turn the crank what else would stop it from turning..