CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Torque specs for clutch lifter bolts please

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torque specs for clutch lifter bolts please

I have the service manual and no where does it say anything on what the torque specs are for the clutch lifter basket, does anybody know?

It is the 4 bolts that hold the clutch springs to the basket if that helps. I need this in foot pounds please(ft. lbs.)

Old 09-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I doubt it's very much.

On a cbr954 - it's 9 ft/lbs. 5 Bolts though... So with that said, yours would may be a bit higher as I'm sure you have a slightly bigger spring only using 4 bolts.

I'm sure someone will come along soon that has actually done it on an F2. The main thing is keeping it equal among all the bolts. Do the star rotation a few times to make sure everything is even.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Do I tighten all the way down till they are snug? All it says is to tighten in a pattern.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
Do I tighten all the way down till they are snug? All it says is to tighten in a pattern.
The key is tightening them evenly - it's kind of a time consuming process, due to the springs.
I don't remember if my Haynes manual had a torque spec for those bolts or not, but if it did, I would have used it, as I do believe in following manufacturer recommendations for torque values... if not, I would have tightened them quite snug, without going crazy.

I'll check my Haynes and Clymer manuals during lunch, and get back with you this afternoon.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks JNS.

I did the rotation pattern and got them snug with some Locktight. I just didn't know how tight to go to finish the pattern. I appreciate the help. Nothing sucks more than not being able to get to or fix anything on the side of the road like the clutch.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Just remember, the tighter you go, the more pre-loaded those springs are, thus the "heavier" the clutch pull is going to be.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 AM

So back them off a little bit is what you are saying?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Just make sure they're not too tight to where you can't use your clutch comfortably.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Seth, as I thought, there were no torque specs in any of the three manuals... I just put in a new clutch a couple of months ago, so you would think I would've readily recalled that fact, but it took some time for the job to "all come back to me".

So anyway, just tighten them well, but don't "gorilla" it, and you'll be fine - the bolts will just run out of thread, so the difference between just-right tight and too tight aren't going to make any difference in your clutch action, you just want to make sure don't damage the threads, or risk breaking off a bolt!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM

I believe that is right where I am at on them with some Locktite. Let's hope for the best.

Thanks for your and everyone else's help.

Quick Reply: Torque specs for clutch lifter bolts please