CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

testing the charging system

Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default testing the charging system

should i give the battery a full charge before testing the charging sytem out? or should i charge it up, test it, wait a day, then test it again??

kinda confused but i need to figure out whats wrong asap, its drivin me nutso

Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Default RE: testing the charging system

No harm in charging up the battery before you test, since that will recreate the ideal circumstances anyway. And testing it again a day or two later won't hurt. But if the battery is already kinda oldor is constantly losing charge, it may just be time for a new one. As was the case recently with my own, andnot reallya problem withthe charging system after all. Have the battery tested at PepBoys/Someplace if you can. Their machine will tell you if the battery is good or not. Battery may still fully charge andvoltage test at12, but its Amps are where its power is - the machine will tell you if it's still got 'em under load... then you're already where they sell them if you need a new one.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 PM

rey, i actually charged it up and then tested it out.. the first reading i got from the battery was as it should be (around 12.7) i started to test other things out and ther/r if i testedcorrectly is actually bad too. then i went to retest the battery just 10 minutes later and i got a significantly weaker reading 9around 10).

i found a cheap r/r on ebay for a gsxr that someone suggested i use so i'm in the bidding for that. also, the previous owner of my bike bought a battery from walmart and it came with a 3 year warranty so i'm just gonna swap it out and start with a fresh one (since its at no cost to me, except travel time).

i've never worked on a car before besides changing oil and little things let alone a motorcycle.. but i got to admit there is a self-satisfying feeling when you can successfully diagnose and fix a problem... i feel gooooooood

Old 02-02-2008, 04:00 PM

James, thanks for the input, its very much appreciated...

I just bought a battery tender (not deltran) on ebay with an auto shut off and float feature. I'll use that from here on out.. What else is involved with initally installing a battery. I know to give it a full charge like you said James but once I do that I probably won't be riding it anytime soon cuz of the weather... will this be a problem?

Old 02-02-2008, 04:15 PM

If you haven't bought your battery and filled it yet, wait. Batteries are sold with the liquid in a seperate container, which you fill yourself the first time. If the weather is going to keep you from riding for a while, wait til you need it to fill it. It can sit for a long time without being filled, and it will instantly be fully charged when you do.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:15 PM

I bought it, haven't even opened up the package yet so no its not filled.. it may be another month or so until the weather gets a lil more reasonable to practice my riding skills. so i will wait to fill it... but i'm confused, once i fill it, i don't need to charge it?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Correct, the liquid makes the battery instantly charged when you add it, and is packaged seperately - giving it a very long shelf life. The battery's life doesn't officially begin till you fill the battery with the liquid, and it will be instantly fully charged.

Just bought my new battery last week while my bike was stranded(dead battery)in another part of town, filled the battery with the liquid when I got back there and installed it, fired right up - no charging necessary.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:36 PM

you guys are awesome... so i'm gonna wait til i at least get to ride a couple times a week... but when it comes time to fill it, then what? should i start it everyday, charge it everyday? any ideas/suggestions??

Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 PM

Ride it as usual when you finallyput it in andthat r/r you're getting from ebayshould keep it fully charged. But if it has tosit for a little while, then put it ona tender/charger like James was telling you about, just to keep it topped off when not in use and extend it's life a little.

Let me know how the r/r from the gsxr works/installs. Haven't determined if mine's Honda or if it's been replaced - my mechanic told me that it's charging good for now, so I'veleft it as it is.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM

When I first got the bike, I would charge it upeveryday and let it warm up.. It would hold the charge for a lil then it wouldnt start the next day. this is what prompted me to test the charging system and everything. I had no clue just letting it run wasbad for it.. o well, lesson learned and problem solved thanks to you guys..

Thanks for the great tips yet again... I wish the weather would get nicer already so I can put the advice into action...