CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

terminology question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default terminology question

Since I am new to the biker world and have been reading these treads for a week now, I noticed that a couple of terms get thrown around from time to time. For instance I know that the term piped means aftermarket exhaust installed.

Can someone please help me and others who may not be as knowledgeable in these such term get an understanding of these terms. Here are a few that I have been reading thus far.

piped - (already discussed)
slider - ( to protect bike if dropped)
jetted - ???
-1/+1 - ???
swingarm - ???

Those are all the ones I can think of but feel free to add more to this list if you know more. This will help me and others if we want to attempt to have these modifications done to our bikes in the future.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Default RE: terminology question

not as bike savy as the rest but
jetted---when you get a slip-on you have to adjust the carbs (correct me if i'm wrong)...never bikes have a power commander (or PC) since they are not carburated
-1/+1---referrs to the sprokets but i am not sure the use...i know people change sprockets for stunting but not sure of any other real purpose behind it
swingarm---lol, this is the thing your rear wheel is attached to ... google swingarm and you'll see or even ebay it

Old 05-16-2006, 06:03 PM

jetting refers to the air/fuel ratio of your carbs. if you change things like your exhaust or air filter that allows the engine to breathe better you will also need to change the jetting to add more fuel to compensate for the added air.

-1/+1. is sprocket terms and that denotes the amount of teeth from stock you went on the gear ratios. going with a smaller sprocket in the front or larger one in the rear will give you a lower gear ratio and give you bottom end grunt/acceleration. alot of people use a very common setup of -1 tooth on the front sprocket and +2 on the rear sprocket. it does take away from your top end when you lower the gear ratio, but in most cases its for the better. the saying "i went with a -1/+2 setup" is just saying that he went with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket and a 2 tooth larger rear. also know that dropping 1 tooth in the front is the same as going up 2.5 teeth on the rear.

and a swingarm is just what he described in the above post. it connects your wheel to your frame and rear shock.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jetted -- changing the size of the jets in the carb and often the needle as well. As 94CBRF2 said, you'll usually change the jets to match the exhaust. Keeps the bike from running too lean with aftermarket exhaust.

-1/+1 -- refers to your sprockets. First number is change in front sprocket teeth (-1 in this example). If your front sprocket (also called counter sprocket) has 16 teeth stock then -1 would make it a 15 tooth. The second number is for the back sprocket so +1 would mean you install a sprocket with 1 more tooth than stock. Going smaller in front or bigger in the back will give you better acceleration at the expense of top end speed. Larger front or smaller rear will slow your rate of acceleration but will give you a higher theoretical top end. Will also give you better gas mileage.

swingarm -- just off the turnip truck, eh ... but ya, it's the piece that your rear axle goes through.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 PM

thanks for the info everyone. And yes all I know is how to start and ride the thing and that I will save up to 100 dollars a week by doing so.