CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stuttering

Hey guys I'm in desperate need of help. I bought a cbr from a friend with all race fairings he let me ride it and said the stutter was caused by missing airbox seals. Not till I got it home did I tear off the fairings and find that I got screwed. It was missing everything! I replaced the wiring harness ignition tank rectifier and the seals but the stutter is still there I'm begining to think the carbs aren't adjusted properly but I need help. Th bike runs fine at low rpms but when I try to give it full throttle it stops anywhere between 7 and 9k and bounces around it will hit higher sometimes but I'm not sure what else could cause this. Please help!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM

what u do is go back to that "friend" of yours and whoop his ***. its the smart thing to do. hahah

Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Check the manual and compare your carbs. Are they complete? Try to find an airbox and put it back on. It sounds to me like it's going lean when you try to open it up.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the petcock could that be the prob sounds like what mine starts to do right before i have to hit reserve

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Carbs are complete I have an airbox with no filter petcock seems to flow alright Honda said CDI or coil?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are not using an air filter?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Not yet. I just ran it enough to know its not running right. If you saw the bike you would know the air filter is the least of it's problems. Will it harm it to occasionally run it without a filter?

But it hasn't left the yard because it wouldn't run. I just cleaned the carbs and it does better now but now it won't run in first. The side stand switch isn't killing it and the clutch is disengaging what am I missing!?!

*update* I think all my problems stem from the computer. I moved it around and now it goes into gear fine. I think that honda may be right about it messing up the running of it as well.

Last edited by AMFT; 07-08-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Posted from Iphone earlier. fixed grammer.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 AM

Don't run your bike without an air filter. I have turned mine on for a few seconds to see if it would start with no filter, and that is fine, but don't ride it around.

Riding without an air filter will also lean your carbs out and cause your bike to run improperly.

The gearbox is mechanical, not electronic so whatever you do to the computer or wiring won't effect whether it goes into gear or not.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM

That completely puts wholes in all of my theories. I don't understand how something that seems to be simpler than a car is turning out to be wayyyy more complicated. The gearbox thing is now completely unexplained but you say the stutter could be caused by the missing filter. Ughhhh this is a super pain in the ***. I way overpaid for this thing and it's not giving me a break at all.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMFT
That completely puts wholes in all of my theories. I don't understand how something that seems to be simpler than a car is turning out to be wayyyy more complicated. The gearbox thing is now completely unexplained but you say the stutter could be caused by the missing filter. Ughhhh this is a super pain in the ***. I way overpaid for this thing and it's not giving me a break at all.
Carb tuning isn't easy. These bikes have air filters for a reason, and require work to make the bike run correctly when you modify the intake or exhaust side of the equation.

Get a stock air filter and double check the connections between the carbs and the intake to make sure you have a good, sealed connection.

When you say the bike won't run in 1st gear, what do you mean? Does it die suddenly with a jerk, or does it sputter out?

Quick Reply: Stuttering