CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Steering Stops

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stops

This was typed out in my other post: F2 Noises, but just for good measure, I figured I'd post it here too:

In my haste to capitlize on a "good deal", I didnt check the steering stops before purchasing the bike. The left side stop is dead on, not even a chip out of the paint. The right side is there, and it seems in order, however I can touch my tank before the stop hits? Now, I checked the forks, and the triple tree, nothing seems bent and it looks like its all oem, and I can ride slow speeds not holding on and it goes pretty much straight, but I'm reading online that a lot of jurisdictions decline a bike in its safety inspections due to steering stops. Now I'm bloody paranoid the bike has taken a good fall, and when I go put a plate on it tomorrow somethings going to come up..

My own paranoia aside, what can be done with the steering stops? I would assume this has happened to many a bike in the past, and theres ways to fix the little welded on tabs? Could it be that my clip-on is a little twisted inwards? Is that possible? I noticed that about it, it does look like the right side clip on is at a slightly different angle then the left. I mean, its not drastic = as the bar end hits the tank, its touching the steering stop, but it hits the tank first.

Any suggestions?

I hope I didnt get into some salvaged piece because I jumped too quick...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Default RE: Steering Stops

Well, upon closer inspection, the right tab still has the original weld (as its got the frame coat on it), with no welding marks around it, but it looks like in a mild tip over, it "squished" it a bit, because the edge that hits it has a dip in it.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Default RE: Steering Stops

The clip-ons don't have a lot of movement in where they are positioned, but the little bit that there is could be the problem. Loosen the bolts that hold them in place and move the clip-ons all the way forward and retighten the bolts. This should take care of them hitting the tank. On my bike, even then the bars where pretty close to the tank and it has never been down.