CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Sprockets...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprockets...

I got a '94 F2 I rode last summer and now I'm 'upgrading'here and there. I got a new D&D exhaust, new paint, new pirelli tires, and I'm gonna get some pretty carbon mirrors, bar ends, etc....but to my question.

I have seen chain and sprocket sets on ebay. Some with thhe front sprocket down one and the rear up two (advertised as the wheelie sprocket), and some just with the from sprocket down one and the rear sprocket stock.

I would like a little more torque in the lower RPM's...coming off a stop...but I don't want to lose any top-end. Now in 6th at top speed by RPM's are not maxed out....just seems the engin won't push past 140-145...so I am thinking down one on the front may help with both low end and top end.

Do you think down one on the front sprocket is the way to go, or go up two on the rear as well, or just leave it alone?

Old 01-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Default RE: Sprockets...

lets give a basic sprocket lesson...

ORIGINAL: edwardtn

I would like a little more torque in the lower RPM's...coming off a stop...but I don't want to lose any top-end. Now in 6th at top speed by RPM's are not maxed out....just seems the engin won't push past 140-145...so I am thinking down one on the front may help with both low end and top end.
Firstly, going to lower gearing does not magically make horsepower and torque appear. You merely shift where max torque and max horsepower are made to a lower rpm.

Secondly, when you go to lower gearing, you make max torque and hp sooner but you don't get something for nothing. You lose top end. So if you're max speed is 140 or so with your current gearing, with lower gearing you won't even hit 140.

If you want to get higher top speed, go to higher gearing (i.e. bigger front sprocket, smaller rear sprocket). You'll lose some acceleration in the lower rpms though. You'd just have to learn to stay in the upper rpms for power.

if you want more torque and higher top speed, get a newer 600 or a liter bike.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 PM

The sprocket "lesson" is flawed. If you are giving a lesson on how pulleys and gears work, then your explanation would be valid; but there are other variables such as weight and wind resistance that factor into top speed.

#1 -Lower gearing DOES magically make torque appear at the rear wheel...that is the whole reason low gears exist.

#2 - If I am not at my max rpm when I am at top speed then the force of resistance is greater than the engine can overcome at that gearing...and that could thoretically be overcome with (slightly) lower gearing...

What I was looking for was anyone who has gone down one in the front of an F2 andhow dramatic theeffectes were on top end and low end...

Old 01-27-2007, 04:37 PM

#1 -Lower gearing DOES magically make torque appear at the rear wheel...that is the whole reason low gears exist.
WRONG!!!! All your doing is shifting your power curve so that things happen at lower rpms.

Thing about what you're saying....how can more torque magically appear??? You'd have to make engine mods to produce more torque. Its not going to magically appear just because you've changed gears.

And if you go down one in front, you'll get more torque sooner AND you WILL lose top end.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:59 PM

Oh and by the way.....this is EXACTLY the same as how pulleys and gears work!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:42 AM

You don't even read...I said torque at the rear wheel...which would be a measure of the force rotating the rear tire...which is increased by lowering the gear ratio.

I agree 100% that gearing cannot improve engine torque or hp....I'm not a complete idiot.

Thanks for the fun debate...but:

Is there anyone who has any input that has actually done a sprocket mod to an F2?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 AM

Is there anyone who has any input that has actually done a sprocket mod to an F2?
well, I have but since you'd rather have others opinions, I'll defer. Later.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM

I only went up one on my front sprocket, stock rear, and did a 520 conversion on my bike, but have yet to ride.

I see what you're saying though. you cant make more torque magically appear from the engine, unless you modify that part of the drivetrain, but with gearing, you CAN make more at the wheel. of course, one can only do so much with gearing, then its necessary to either mod the motor or step up to a newer/bigger powerplant.

I contemplated going down one up front and up two on the back, but for me, it'd probably cause more problems than I can afford to deal with. (read like to take off fast and do stupid things)