CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

So, as she slowly comes up together more problems arise...

Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, as she slowly comes up together more problems arise...

First off, I replaced my seals (fork seals and I tested them vigorously) but when I put them on the bike with more slanted weight they leak like ****... Is the obvious reason as to why they're still leaking because I didn't replace the guide bushings (upper and lower) ? I didn't feel any place when checking for them, but I'm pretty sure this could be a probable cause to it leaking still right?

Second, for some reason, I tried adjusting the clutch cable as much as possible so when the bike would be in gear and I pull in the clutch, it would be free/neutral of which ever gear it is in, but its not. When I'm in neutral, and about to take off, I pull in the clutch and put it in first, and the motor cuts off. It jerks before it dies which implies that even when I pull in the clutch, its still not pulled in even though I'm pulling in the clutch. To explain my situation further, I roll the bike forward and back, with the motor off. I roll in in neutral, it rolls freely. I roll it in first gear, but with the clutch lever being held down, and it stops. I can't move it forward or backward as if pulling in the clutch lever has no affect.

Note: When I first purchased the bike it had a nasty rattling noise from the clutch area when in neutral but when I would pull in the clutch the rattling noise would diminish... Would this be a probable cause as to why the clutch isn't working?

I'm getting discouraged on fixing this bike as its a journey, from what it seems to be looking like, that will never end. I've been putting all my efforts and money into this bike yet there's always a downside. Don't be surprised if you see if up for sale. Her motor runs fine and strong, but that stupid clutch and now her forks. I thought I fixed her fork problem considering I was compressing them like a million times (each fork individually) with my body weight and there was no signs of leakage at all (with the dust seals up so I could see the actual fork seal itself) before I assembled her front wheel suspension... F***. What to do...

Her progress...
Name:  IMG_1366.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  106.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1367.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  103.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1365.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  79.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1364.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  97.9 KB

-Jasper

Old 02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Default RE: So, as she slowly comes up together more problems arise...

you know that there are 2 places to adjust the clutch. one at the left clip on and one just at the clutch housing its self. take the oil filler cap off (while the engine is off ofcourse) and using a flashlight see if the pressure plate is moving about a quarter inch when you pull the clutch lever in

Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 PM

don't give up man...itll be worth it when its done. My bess guess as far as the suspension would be the bushings....but the clutch....id just replace it......I dont see whatelse it could be other than the clutch gone bad.....also what kind of shock are you running on the rear?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM

Its an Ohlin's Racing shock with adjustable dampening and stiffness. Since I have everything on the bike... its going to be hard to take my front suspension apart. At which points could I lift the bike to remove the front wheel/forks. If I jacked the bike from the oil pan supported by a 2x4, could I use jack stands on each side of the frame slider to support the weight of the bike? Or would the frame sliders give out on me?

-Jasper

Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM

Did you inspect the forks for any scratches, gouges or other damage or bends? a small scratch could cause a seal not to seal off.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 PM

They had a couple of scuffs that I sanded down then polished. I'm considering to buy some other forks if anyone has any (94 and up that is). I have 94 forks (because my bike is a 94 lol and they're the f3 style forks), so if anyone has any please give me a ray of hope down this dark musty ugly tunnel...

-Jasper

Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 PM

I jacked my bike up from the exhaust support.......it worked and didnt jack anything up but its pretty sketchy.....what Im thinking of doing while im getting my forks rebuilt and wheels, swingarm etc powder coated is using my engine hoist and chaining up the frame and just lifting the whole bike off....but idk if this is a good idea or not.....ill have to ask around but you may want to use a cherry picker to do this?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Well, my dad and I lifted the bike and put the bike on Jack Stands on each Frame slider. Hopefully this will hold. Anyone tried this or heard someone with bad experiences with this?

P.S. - To put in the most simple terms possible to explain my situation with my clutch is, it is not fully disengaging.... If anyone knows the probable causes as to why the clutch will not fully disengage, do tell. Thanks.

-Jasper

Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 PM

when i needed to lift the front of my bike i got two neighbors to help me physically lift the bike up and place four 2x4's under the front wheel, then i set cinder blocks on either side under the oil pan with a 2x4 ontop of each block then pulled the 2x4's under the wheel out one at a time lowering the bike, all the while with my neighbors holding it, worked pretty easily.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Don't give up on it just yet there, J.From the fotos, itlooks likeyou've definately got something good to work with. These F2's are neo-classics, and worth the time and money investedtomaintain them'cause they'reHondas and they'llrun forever.
Not to mentionfun.

As for your clutch, did you find the other adjustment that rider0033 was referring to? There's another besides the one at the hand lever, on the lower right side - follow the cable down. Have you checked the adjustment on that? If it's out as far as it goes, how about the clutch cable itself? Couldit just be stretched out and need replacing? If you've adjusted bothand it still hasn't changed anything, maybe it just needs a newcable - they stretch with age and use. Could be a prettyquick, inexpensivefix.

Ifboth look to be adjusted correctly and the cable is eithernew ornot stretched out, like Djsaid, the best thing to do may be to replace the clutchentirely. It may sound like a big expense, but they do wear out,and at leasta new one willlast quite a while if youuseit right.

I wouldn'tsweat this too much, papi. Even if it takes a while longer(or a little extra $$)to get it working. Be happy it's amoto and it'sproblems are pretty limited -unlike a car which canhave a million ways to bea perpetual POS and keep you constantly penniless [:@]. Though it sucks that we don't always know howthe previous ownerhandled/abused it, possibly resulting ina fewmore surprises/expensesin the future,remember that anything yourepair properlyor replace will make it that much better and more dependable- and you'll know what workwas done, and when.

Suerte

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So, as she slowly comes up together more problems arise...