CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Runs hot after mechanic worked on carbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs hot after mechanic worked on carbs

Fall of '05 I changed the antifreeze, put new sprockets and x-ring chain, rear brake pads on my old '93. Early Summer of '06 I put new pilot jets in the carbs to see if it would start in the morning. Not much help with the new jets. I had a professional mechanic who does work on the side since my bike is too old for the bike shop to work on, install new o-rings etc.or whatever that cost $40 a carb, can't find my receipt, plus tune the carbs a little andmore new plugs. Anyway, since this work was done, my bike runs hot now. The only time the fan would come on before was on 90 degree plus days when going thru lower elevationtowns. Now it gets hot on cooler days. Plus this morning I was warming it up to see if the new thermostathelped any. Nada. My question, did the mechanic advance the timing or something to cause the motor to run hot? If anything, he adjusted the carbs to get more gas to the cylinders so the bike will start on colder mornings. I just took the radiator out and flushed it and it looks to be in good shape and water flowed freely out of it. I took the cap off before doing this while the motor was running to make sure there wasn't any air in the system, you could see the antifreeze swirling and the radiator was hot. As those guys from Orange County Choppers would say "any ideers?" I've done everything I have seen in the way of advice from this site, I'm at wits end.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Default RE: Runs hot after mechanic worked on carbs

Only thing I can think is its running to lean now. That will cause it to run hotter. Unless he screwed something else up.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks, that is what I was thinking from advice garnerned from a friend who I used to snowmobile with and hours of discussion about motors. The mechanic helped the bike start better on cold mornings but it still has some of the quirks of a tuned too lean to start like it had before he worked on it. My analogy is, with the choke on some cylinders start getting too much gas and need thechoke backed offwhile some still need the choke on to get enough fuel to fire properly while cold. I can't just start itlike I used to the first few years I had the bike and walk away from it. I have to stay for a minute until I can back the choke off and hit the throttle some to clear out the over choked cylinders?and it will run on its own. I've had some thoughts of getting the next bigger size of pilot jets and put them in to see if that would help. The bike is a '92 not a '93, can't remember, my truck is only a year off so I keep switching them around.

I need to figure this out as I have a potential ride with a younger blond who has a Sportster who invited me to call her when I am in her area. Argg!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:13 PM

My f2 doesn't start like my F3 does. However I had to tear the f2 carbs apart once to change the oring seals on the fuel lines. Noticed a few springs appeared to be missing and it definitely needs synchonized now.

I can choke the f3 in 10 degree weather and it will start right up, then maybe a minute later it will idle fine with no choke on.

Your gonna have to go reaaaal slow to keep up with that sportster. Buddy of my dads has a00 1200 with all kinds of mods and I absolutely destroyed him with my f2 and slip-on. Hetalked mad **** before he tried to race me lol.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 PM

I'll let her lead as I will be going into territory I'm not that familiar with. A good point is she doesn't have the typical big butt some biker chics and horse peoplehave so I won't mind following. I'll call the guy who worked on my bike and see what he says, a local guy I know who has worked on Hondas and works on Yamahas now had no answers when I asked him today. Hey, I get my post count up a couple.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 PM

As long as the bike is not reading hot on the temp gauge (above the middle range), I wouldn't worry about to be honest. You are just going to frustrate yourself chasing a ghost.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 PM

Saturday just warming up after a upper to mid20's night outside and the bike in the garage, the fan kicked on after 15 minutes or so. In the past, the only time it would come on was in stop and gotraffic thru bigger towns in the summer with temps in the 90's. I called the mechanic tonight and he said to adjust the air screws or fuel screws. I don't know whether to adjust the air screws first or the fuel screws first. Abig job taking the seat, tank and air box off. I did the radiator last weekend, I guess it'ssomething to do while waiting for warmer temps. At least with the Battery Tender Plus hooked up to the battery, theold battery stays charged.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 AM

chasing a ghost.
I hate Ghosts.
One of my tech teachers told me this and it's a motto to live by in general.
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. Words to live by.