CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Review of F3 Ebay Fairing Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of F3 Ebay Fairing Kit

Well I painted my bike last year only to have it dropped by someone and then a few months later my sister thought she could just back out of the driveway without looking. So after 2 months of looking at the different sellers and asking questions to people that had bought the kits, I decided that it would be worth it to buy one. I purchased it from Brandacat for $500 shipped and insured. Swapping the F3 parts for the F2 parts was extremely simple.

Appearance of Paint Job, Plastic and Packaging.
I received one large box from the post office about a month after I payed. The box came perfectly wrapped and all the pieces were intact, which I was a little worried about. The appearance of the plastics is great. The plastic is abs, a little thinner than oem but not flimsy or brittle in the least bit. The paint job is top notch as well. The paint had no runs, chips, flawless and it looks great. The doors, lower fairings and tail fairings all have tabs on them like the oem pieces.

Fitment of the Plastics
Here is the one thing that I was the most worried about because I have heard horror stories about some of these kits. After mocking it up I could see that the kit would need some tweaking but not much. The upper piece was the hardest to put on because my upper fairing stay from ebay was bent. So after some cutting and welding I got it pretty straight. I finally got it on and secured down. The headlight screwed in the mounting holes on the middle fairing with ease and looked good. I did have to make the mirror holes a little wider which was not a problem. The lower fairings and doors I had to make some of the holes a little wider but again with a dremmel tool that only takes 5 minutes. So the lowers mounted flush with the upper and the doors sit flush on the lowers, which was a relief. Next came the inner fairings by the exhaust. These went on very easy as the lower fairing had mounts that were threaded for bolts to go into. Alignment was spot on. Finally I had to put the tail on. This is the part which was a little pain in the ***, but if you are handy and own a welder then its not bad. I had to cut the mounting brackets off and reweld them over about a half an inch so the tail mounting stems would line up. I reused my front fender because it was already painted black and still on the bike. Once I did that the bike was together. I painted the gas tank the same color as the orange body, seems it is a mitsubishi sunset orange. My buddy liked the orange so much he painted his Jeep with it.

Conclusion is that the kit is worth every dollar that I spent on it. The bike looks killer, almost brand new. The F3 tail looks 10x better than the F2 and the orange and black paint jumps out. The kit was not that hard to put on and aside from welding the brackets, the only tools you need any garage should have. Let me know if there are any questions I could answer as I am sure I left stuff out.
Total spent on the project was prob around $625 after I sold my old F2 parts and that includes the orange paint for my gas tank.

[img=http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8047/motorcyclesidefrontrf4.th.jpg]
[img=http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1194/backsidefront.th.jpg]

Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM

Sorry for the cell phone pictures. Tomorrow I will post some better pictures.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 AM

it looks ive been thinking on doing the same thing. but the storys have been stoping me...

the only thing you need to do now is lose the big heavy F2 rear sets and swap the F3's on it...

Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM

oh and it the f3 head light diff form the f2??

Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 PM

LOVE the color combo you went with. Im sure you have seen my repaint thread. I ended up going with Hugger Orange and black.

My only suggestion is get the rims powder coated black. It will look amazing!

Here is my thread fwiw. https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/repainting-bike-pictures-80677/

Old 03-03-2009, 03:21 PM

Yeah I thought about powder coating the rims. Some guy will do it for a bottle of vodka on his lunch, lol. And yeah the f3 headlight is different from the f2. Never thought of swapping the rear sets maybe I'll look into that.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Be careful with your tabs, especially on the tail. I've had a couple of them break off since the factory in china glues them on instead of includes them as part of the mold. Maybe yours are different.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Yeah I noticed that right away and I put 2 part epoxy around the bottoms to harden them up.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is your pipe as close to your rear tire as it looks in the first picture?

Quick Reply: Review of F3 Ebay Fairing Kit