CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Only running on two cylinders.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only running on two cylinders.

Alright so awesome i got my bike running. I bought it off a kid who told me it needed the carbs cleaned a new clutch and a R/R. I cleaned the carbs and she started right up. No new clutch is necessary only needed adjustment! Well i was looking at the exhaust after a slight ride and noticed the paint is gone on the 1 and 4 cylinders. I touch each pipe lightly and 2 and 3 are cold. Check the oil and it smells like gas. Check for spark and i have spark. Could this be timing? i thought the timing on these was pretty much fool proof. Or could it just be that coil is not giving off enough spark? i dont know what else it could be. I figured if its the spark box there would be no spark. Could this have something to do with the R/R. Any help is greatly appreciated here. Thanks!
Nick

Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Default RE: Only running on two cylinders.

If you have a strong spark, compair it to a running jug. if that is OK and you have gas it could be a few things. My first thought is not timming the motor runs off one crank so i would doubt it is that, but I could be wrong?
I would check the compression in the jugs (cylinders) you could have bad rings, cracked pistons, nothing goo if compresson is low or none. Just remember the compression will build in just a sec or to do not let it build up by cranking for a long time it will give you a false reading.

I hope I am wrong, I know more about cars then bikes, but basicly the same build

Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR13F2

Well i was looking at the exhaust after a slight ride and noticed the paint is gone on the 1 and 4 cylinders. I touch each pipe lightly and 2 and 3 are cold. Check the oil and it smells like gas.
Nick
You have either:

1. Too much gas being dumped out of the carbs themselves onto the crankcase below on the cold cylinders tht is.

2. Your valve seats, springs, etc. are worn, broken or out of time. Broken valve stems leting gas seep through into the crankcase,
this time on the inside of the engine.

I would take the carbs off, have them cleaned, as in taken apart, not sprayed full of some $5.99 can of gunk be gone carb crap,
and synched.

Get a fresh battery...charge it...and once the carbs are back on and the fuel lines hooked back up, have it ready to go.

Might as well replace the plugs while you are at it.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:03 PM

Thanks a lot guys appreciate the help. I hope its not rings or valves because i really dont want to have to rip it all apart but if need be i guess i should. I think maybe i am going to flip the coils first to see if maybe the the coil for those two cylinders is faulty. I just find it hard to believe that i would either need a valve job or rings on 2 cylinders and they are the same two cylinders running on one coil. I hope i am right. If i am not than one of you guys are and i hope its a simple fix. Thanks again!
Nick