CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

One Great Summer

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Well, as the saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement, so the obvious would be to punch out the cylinders to 66mm, for a total displacement of 618cc, or to 67mm, for 637cc (stock is 65mm) - this will of course require oversize pistons and rings, which will probably run between $700 and $900 (U.S. Dollars).

Another popular option is to replace your exhaust cam with your intake cam, and procure an F4i intake cam to run as your intake cam - if I did this, I would probably get slotted cam sprockets while I was at it.. bear in mind that with increased displacement and bigger cams, you'll need more fuel, so bigger mains, higher position needles, and larger pilot jets would probably be needed as well.
so, all I need is to buy a F4i intake cam, run my intake as my exhaust and buy slotted sprockets?? the carb jetting I was thinking of doing anyway. so if I was to do this what carb jetting would you recommend?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjy68
Brilliant, thank you.
I will order them asap. my pistons all have 1 A on them??? I say pistons I meant con rods!!!!
The 1 is the key, but, regarding your earlier post:

Hi jns, are these the codes?
The crank is L22221LAAA
Engine Case is ABAAB
...there's something missing, the L22221 would be the top stamping on the crank weight, but there's a character missing form what you posted for the bottom stamping - you've got "LAAA", but there should be another character, check that again.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Ok, nevermind on my last post, I just looked at your picture, and it is indeed LAAAA, so, your con-rod bearings will all need to be yellows.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:11 PM

The 1 is the key, but, regarding your earlier post:

...there's something missing, the L22221 would be the top stamping on the crank weight, but there's a character missing form what you posted for the bottom stamping - you've got "LAAA", but there should be another character, check that again.
Ooppps sorry that letter is A

Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Ok, nevermind on my last post, I just looked at your picture, and it is indeed LAAAA, so, your con-rod bearings will all need to be yellows.
Ok thanks. What about the cam lobes on the f4i are they in same position? Also is the f4i the same thickness as the f2 and fit in the caps?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM

so, all I need is to buy a F4i intake cam, run my intake as my exhaust and buy slotted sprockets?? the carb jetting I was thinking of doing anyway. so if I was to do this what carb jetting would you recommend?
Let's forget I mentioned the slotted sprockets for a moment, and no, the other above items are not necessarily all you will need... what you would need, IF you chose that option for hotter cams, indeed are those items, BUT, you also need engine building knowledge, and experience with degreeing the cams, which is simply making sure the cams are installed to where their timing is correct in regards to the crankshaft position.

I have rebuilt many engines in the past, and I'm not going to tell you that it's rocket science, but it's a helluva lot more comprehensive than just bolting on parts, so if you don't have any engine building experience, I recommend a lot of research first, or at least using a good manual and working very cautiously.

Chances are, you'll do fine, if you've got good mechanical inclination, and truly understand how a motor's components work together, but I'm just saying... proceed with caution!

By the way, I mentioned the F4i cam swap because I know that it's one of the popular options, but you can also get aftermarket cams that are hotter than stock - you just have to see what's available.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 PM

Im ok with building engines i have worked on toyota drag cars in the past and have rebuilt 3L N/A converted to single turbo producing 1400 bhp using forums and help with a good engineer which sadly isnt around. So i have knowledge and experience just not on the motorcycle side. I am doing loads of research. I just thought at the stage im in, would be an idea to find out weather to leave it stock and jet it or change internals whilst its apart. When you say about other aftermarket parts, where is the best place to look? Ok im not technical but i can learn and read into what im doing first.

Last edited by Benjy68; 12-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Im ok with building engines i have worked on toyota drag cars in the past and have rebuilt 3L N/A converted to single turbo producing 1400 bhp using forums and help with a good engineer which sadly isnt around. So i have knowledge and experience just not on the motorcycle side. I am doing loads of research. I just thought at the stage im in, would be an idea to find out weather to leave it stock and jet it or change internals whilst its apart. When you say about other aftermarket parts, where is the best place to look? Ok im not technical but i can learn and read into what im doing first.
Ok, I'm sure you'll be fine - I just worry if I feel like someone is fixing to embark on a project that's over their head, so I don't like to encourage it, if I don't know if their really ready for it... and I still must say, that these kind of parts can stack up cost quickly, so depending on what you need from this bike, the first thing to consider is, do I want to spend this kind of money on an older bike/motor? Do I need to, or would it be better to just leave the internals alone, & stick with external mods, like intake, exhaust, ignition timing, etc.?
Anyway, blah, blah, blah, you can figure that out.

With regards to where to look for aftermarket pistons/cams, the first places that come to mind are OrientExpressRacing, and CBRZone - check out their sites.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:11 AM

Think i will stay as stock. Prices are a bit out of my range for now. Would rejetting the carbs with stock engine make any difference?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Think i will stay as stock. Prices are a bit out of my range for now. Would rejetting the carbs with stock engine make any difference?
If the internals are stock, I wouldn't spend any money/time on re-jetting, unless you have a race header and/or hi-flow air filter... if you're only running a slip-on, and have an OEM-type paper air filter, then there's really no need.

Quick Reply: One Great Summer