CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I think this thing is about to kill me but here we go:
1. Replaced the ICM, that didn't fix it.
2. The spark generator ohms fine
3. I just checked both coils and they test fine.
4. I took one spark plug out and placed it in all wires and got spark out of all coil spark plug wires. For some odd reason my inductive timing light does not pick up the spark signal when used on the ignition wires.
5. I sprayed starting fluid on the carbs yesterday and not even a burp. I tried starting it today and it sounded like it wanted to try. This was may be some left over starting fluid from yesterday.
6. Sprayed starting fluid again into it and not even a peep.
7. Oil level is good.
8. Kill switch works,
9. Stand switch works
10. When vacuum applied to petcock it releases fuel.

Could it be a carb issue? I took apart the carbs and put stage 2 jets in it about 6-8 months ago at which time I cleaned everything up... The bike has been running fine since then. I did change out the shorty exhaust for a longer, more factory one.

Not sure what else to look at!

Thanks for the help

Last edited by 350xfire; 12-27-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Commander_Chaos

My guess is dirty carbs.
+1 for dirty carbs. Clogged pilot jets

If spark and fuel flow confirmed, you're looking at carbs

Old 12-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 350xfire
6. Sprayed starting fluid again into it and not even a peep.
I would stay away from the starting fluid.
I've seen lost eyebrows and airboxes and things explode from starting fluid and a bike with a misfire.
It's not helping the situation and really isn't needed.
Once you fix the problem, the bike will start and run just fine without the starting fluid.

Your original problem was - the bike was running and then it just quit.
That doesn't sound like carbs. There are 4 of them and I doubt they all clogged at the same time.
I just don't know what else you should check.

Last edited by Phil314; 12-27-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:23 PM

I think I am down to my last resort and will pull the carbs and see. I am in agreement with the it was running and just died so it shouldn't be the carbs theory but I can't think of anything else to check. Is there a possibility of a weak spark?
Thanks

Old 12-27-2018, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Well we won't know if it's a strong spark any better than you will... I still say you should try it with a known good battery to rule it out. If you're unsure, go youtube it for visual examples of strong vs weak spark. Plenty of resources out there

Weak spark is most likely battery voltage. No spark is most likely a fault elsewhere in the electrical system. As Phil314 pointed out, it is important to test each one, as troubleshooting will depend on whether it's one, two, or all four that are missing spark. It sounds like you've verified spark on all four, so I'm gonna advise moving down the list to other likely culprits - ie carbs

Pilot jets are infuriating. They can clog quickly, especially if the gas has ethanol in it. I remember a recent case on the forum where a user found small rubber chunks clogging up the jets, literally the next day after a carb rebuild. He wound up taking the carbs apart several times before addressing the root cause (deteriorated fuel hose)

Either way, if you're confident that you've ruled out the basics (battery, fuses, fuel, spark) then the next step is to get into the carbs. If you haven't already, replace the fuel filter and hoses while it's convenient. If the pilot jets are clean, then we take a compression test to ensure that the engine is capable of compression. Things only get worse from there

We're also taking for granted that the modified exhaust/jets aren't to blame. If the problems started immediately after modification, then I'd go back and check your work. If it ran since, it can probably be ruled out. Just my 2c

Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Phil314
I would stay away from the starting fluid.
I've seen lost eyebrows and airboxes and things explode from starting fluid and a bike with a misfire.
It's not helping the situation and really isn't needed.
Once you fix the problem, the bike will start and run just fine without the starting fluid.

Your original problem was - the bike was running and then it just quit.
That doesn't sound like carbs. There are 4 of them and I doubt they all clogged at the same time.
I just don't know what else you should check.
Agreed. This is all good advice. Pilot jets typically gunk up on a bike that's been sitting. The problem is, if we've ruled out spark, then this is our next most likely culprit

I really try to avoid starting fluid on anything I care about. Maybe a shot of seafoam for the lawnmower in spring

Old 12-27-2018, 09:21 PM

Thanks guys. I will take apart the carbs and see what they look like.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:29 AM

IMO fault finding needs to be methodical, from what you describe I would be starting with fuel. You have checked the fuel petcock is operating when vacuum is applied but I'm not sure you have tested that the motor is applying the vacuum, for example. You should start at the beginning of the system and work your way through the entire system, 'proving' beyond all doubt the operability of each component as you go. Once you get to the end and are completely satisfied that fuel is getting to the engine then look at the ignition system, again each component needs to be tested to ensure the correct spark is being fired at the correct time.

If you take the methodical approach you will get to the bottom of it. After all if you put good fuel, oxygen and a spark in the same place at the same time you will get a bang, pretty much without exception.

It must be said that occasionally faults are intermittent and occasionally there is more than one fault and more rarely there can be multiple intermittent faults.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates

Old 01-05-2019, 05:05 PM

I unhooked the fuel line and the engine is opening it on it's own.
I also took the carbs out today and cleaned all the jets.

Still no-go on start. It does give me a burp off and on, especially when the throttle is opened all the way. Otherwise, nothing!

So I think I can rule out the jets.

I guess it could be fouled plugs??? Not sure that plugs really foul that easily....

Quick Reply: Need some help