CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My F2 doesnt run well at around 9k, but still runs great to the limiter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My F2 doesnt run well at around 9k, but still runs great to the limiter

Greeting from Finland!

I just bought an "93 F2 and im wondering what would be the issue on my bike. It starts and runs great, but around 9k it kind of cuts off, but when i tease the throttle and it gets more rpm, it runs great over that to the rev limiter. It backfires a little bit in deceleration too.

Is it in the plugs, or carb or something else? I have skills to tear the whole **** down and put back together, but im very anxious to drive, so i dont have days to do all these.

Thanks for you all, and sorry if i have bad english, i blame finnish school system

Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by La_x
Thanks for you all, and sorry if i have bad english, i blame finnish school system
Unfortunately, I don't have a suggestion for your RPM issue, but there's no need to apologize for your English skills, considering most Americans can't speak Finnish (or most other languages), but most Fins (And most other nationalities) can speak passable English.

I call that a win for the Finnish school system, and a fail on the American schools.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you "hit the wall" at 9K, is that at 3/4 throttle to full throttle? Does this occur consistently in different gears, at about the same RPM, but seem worse the higher the gear?

When you say "tease the throttle", are you saying that when you hit that spot where it cuts, but then maybe back off the throttle just a touch, that you begin to gain power again?

If your answer is "yes" to the above questions, than you might be running lean on your main jet circuit, due to intake/exhaust modifications with stock jets, or possibly from the carbs just being dirty.

Popping on decel is usually an indication of a slightly lean pilot circuit.

If you're unsure of the plug condition, I would definitely just replace them... it's cheap and it's easy.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kas, härmäläisiä! Meitä ei todellakaan ole täällä liikaa! Suurin osa tulee kysyy ja häipyy...

Missäspäin suomenniemeä vaikutat?

Mutta tarvinnee vaihtaa lontoolle tai privoille, modet ei tykkää kun ei ymmärrä...

Strongly suggesting clogged/dirty jets or misadjusted carbs.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM

I knew La_x's Finnish compatriot would pop on her soon enough!!

Too many Spaniard's in MotoGP, and now the Finns are taking over cbrfourm!!

Last edited by JNSRacing; 07-11-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 AM

Thanks guys, love you all! JNS,you quessed the symptoms right, my bike is all original, so i got to clean carbs. Mattson: Im from lappeenranta, are you near there? Im posting with phone from coffee break, so i cant tell you all story, but i will tell more stories at weekend. Finland takin` over the forum

Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 AM

Good luck with the carb cleaning, if you need help, post up your questions.

Since you're possibly trying to resolve what is a fueling issue, make plenty of notes while you do the work, so you have a "baseline" for how things are set now - make a note of whether you have an OEM paper air filter, or an aftermarket "high-flow" air filter, make a note of the numbers on the main jets, before you remove the pilot screws, turn them all in, counting the amount of turns it takes to lightly seat them, so you know what setting you started with, blah, blah, blah... this will make more sense once you get into the carbs!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by La_x
Mattson: Im from lappeenranta, are you near there?
Nowhere near, as my profile says (U don`t see it on the mobile version though) Sysmä, about 80km north of Lahti

For the carb cleaning, find a spray can of KENT ONE SHOT, and beware your clothes, that is nasty stuff.

If you take the jets out make a note which goes where as the inner and outer ones have different markings (different sizes) I didn`t move mine, just sprayed them with that stuff. Also beware of rubber seals cause that stuff can destroy them too if left for too long.

But I do lean towards faulty adjusted carbs cause it does sounds it runs too lean specially if it shoots into the pipe when letting go of the throttle. Remember to do the carb syncronizing too.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Good luck with the carb cleaning, if you need help, post up your questions.

Since you're possibly trying to resolve what is a fueling issue, make plenty of notes while you do the work, so you have a "baseline" for how things are set now - make a note of whether you have an OEM paper air filter, or an aftermarket "high-flow" air filter, make a note of the numbers on the main jets, before you remove the pilot screws, turn them all in, counting the amount of turns it takes to lightly seat them, so you know what setting you started with, blah, blah, blah... this will make more sense once you get into the carbs!
I forgot to mention that my bike is completely stock, only things that has been made are handle heaters (or what ever they are in english ) Thanks for these advises, i wrote em up for future.

This time i didn't even have to mess with carbs, the problem was clogged petcock, i just cleaned petcock and tank and now mi bike runs like hell.

Originally Posted by Mattson
Nowhere near, as my profile says (U don`t see it on the mobile version though) Sysmä, about 80km north of Lahti

For the carb cleaning, find a spray can of KENT ONE SHOT, and beware your clothes, that is nasty stuff.

If you take the jets out make a note which goes where as the inner and outer ones have different markings (different sizes) I didn`t move mine, just sprayed them with that stuff. Also beware of rubber seals cause that stuff can destroy them too if left for too long.

But I do lean towards faulty adjusted carbs cause it does sounds it runs too lean specially if it shoots into the pipe when letting go of the throttle. Remember to do the carb syncronizing too.
Sysmä isnt so far, i bought my car from Lahti and it wasnt that far away, just a nice little trip. I have Valvoline carburettor cleaner witch i bought from motonet, i hope it works too when i someday disassemble the carbs.

Thi time it was little bit easiear fault than i tought, but someday i will clean them when i have time. And im going to buy cheap cool looking muffler like Danmoto GP or something short that just sticks behind the fairing, so i have to put Dynojet- kit to my carb.

BTW does anyone have muffler that mounts like this in cbr, i dont like long midpipe, i want muffler to start just behind the fairing.

Now im going to sychronize my carb, runs nicely, but i thing that the idle is little rough.

PS. Havent drive anything on 2 wheels for i while and gotta say that bike is ****ing nuts, now i understand why people climb to trees with bikes, it is too easy to twist the throttle and just fly. In Finland we have mostly 80km/h (50mph) limits and my bike just screams to hit the throttle. It is almost idling in that speed. But i gotta say that i was shocked with the low rpm torque. People say that 600cc doesnt have it, but mine can do 25mph wits sixht gear and still it gains speed enough for normal commuting. And half of the gears are useless, always take intersections with 2nd gear and after short acceleration just hit straight to the 6th. Almost **** myself when i revved 2nd and third gear to the rev limiter, everything blurred and i couldnt take that smile away in a hour.

This is suprisingly fast, just a liiiittle bit throttle and mine took 220km/h (136mph) with an passenger.

Crazy to think that when i was 16, my NSR 125 had something like 34-40hp from engine and runned 163 without fairings to navigator and i was like daaam that is fast. It feels so lazy now.

Still this aint perfect, so i gotta do some updates like adjust headlight, put a 12V output for phone/satnav and take off that ****ing ugly piece of **** that they call rear fender/ plate holder.

First i was going to lengthen the swingarm 10" or something, put a rollcage to cover the engine/ front fairings, 2 seater shorty tail from some other bike and that kind of ****, but everyone keeps telling me and i noticed it myself too that my bike is in mint condition, it is just ****ing perfect, i cant chop a perfecly good Honda. Gotta buy something like a ruined 954rr to make a sporty caferacer for raging on the road.

Something like M.A.D Kuusaa type of ****, i just love how these guys paint the road, check on youtube!! And they live about 150km away from me, i once drove through Kuusankoski and the roads were ****ing painted with rubber

I noticed i made a very long and messy post, dont get mad

Thanks to you guys, Honda community is one of the best, thats one reason why i bought it