CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

To much fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To much fuel

On my CBR 600 F2 I notice a small drop of fuel dripping from the petcock... After looking closely it was coming from between two plates on the petcock that where riveted together. I went to the local dealer and he said the new one was $195!, and suggest it try to fix it my self. So i drilled out the rivets replaced them with screws and put a peri-tex gasket between the plates over all an easy job and didn't seem to "mess" anything up...

GOOD NEW - petcock stops leaking

BAD NEW - gas is pouring out the carb over flows

Question - Why and is my only fix $195 a way?

thanks
rayfish

Old 07-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Don't quote me on this, but I thought that the point of the floats in the carbs was to keep fuel at a stable level. I don't know if fixing your petcock had anything to do with it but perhaps just take a look at your float needles and make sure they are not stuck and are nice and clean and seat properly. Plus check float height and make sure it is correct.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Default floats - thanks for the reply

Thank for the reply...

float needles look good

What i did find is if you disconnect a small hose from the side of the pet **** that runs to the left side of the of the cylinder it stops leaking & runs normal until the float bowl runs out of fuel ...

Look like there is a small diaphragm on the side of the pet **** that regulates the fuel...

thank

Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Default Ok, still not working HELP

So just to be sure i purchased new float and new float needles... and you guested it

- GAS still pouring out of the carb...

i still go back to fixing the petcock... may be the i should have gotten a new petcock.

an thoughts?

thanks
rayfish

Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 PM

u may have damaged the diaphragm in the pet. the pet is a closed system actuated by the vacuum hose on the cylinder if its torn it would let gas straight past it and gravity feed constant gas to the carbs. your floats are non adjustable so that's not it. id say the diaphragm or possibly the housing itself its impossible to tell without pics.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I wish you would have confirmed with someone before you bought new floats, waste of money usually. The only thing that ever needs changed due to wear are the float needles and you can easily verify that visually. They normally just need cleaned.

Make sure that the seat that the float needle goes into is very clean. Where do you see fuel leaking from the carbs? Can you get a picture?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Ok finally got into the garage this weekend to find out where the fuel is REALLY leaking from... it is coming from the fuel line "T" that that is in between the #1 and #2 and another between the #3 and #4 carb. i have split the carbs to find a very old and hardened rubber "O" ring... i am guessing replacement of these "O"rings should do the trick... an input would be appreciated.

thanks
Rayfish

Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 AM

SA-WEEEEET success!

The "O" rings fixed it... gas stay on the inside!

Thanks for all the advise and suggestion!

I have learned a ton from you guys.

have a great long weekend

Rayfish