CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

looking for a title

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a title

I am looking for a Nebraska F2 title. I wrecked mine and found a frame, but if i get a title from out of state i will need it inspected and the numbers wont match. So i just need a NE title that is ready to register. Let me know if you have one or know someone who does.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Default RE: looking for a title

Be VERY CAREFUL!!! The best way to do what you're looking to do is buy a frame WITH the title so you have the matching info sticker. If a police officer suspects that your title VIN doesn't match your frame VIN and checks, it can be massively expensive. At the least you are looking at charges of (1) Registration violation (2) Fraud against the State (3) Insurance violation [because any insurance you have against that VIN will be invalid for that bike]. In many states any VIN discrepancies require an immediate arrest while a vehicle theft charge is investigated.
Here is a bit of advise should you continue with this strategy. Remove the VIN info sticker from the frame you are going to use. Get a steel stamp kit (Harbor Freight has them) and stamp the VIN from the title where the sticker used to be. Most cops are not real motorcycle guys and don't know where to look for the "secret VIN location". So if they see the stamp it will ease suspicion. Older bikes used stamps so cops are used to seeing them.
I am a former cop and I am a motorcycle guy. I took four guys to jail for violations just like you're talking about if they hadput just a little more effort into the fraud I would have never caught them.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 AM

I have been buying and selling cars for a very long time and it is very rare that I find cars missing titles. It seems like more that half the bikes I find online have no title! To the OP, I'm not suggesting that you stole anything or are in possesion of stolen property, but why in the hell would you buy a frame without a title?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 PM

The frame i bought came with a title but it is an iowa title. so to use that one i need to have the bike inspected and the numbers wont all match.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM

in iowa, numbers matching doesn't matter. i have a salvage certificate (but anyone can do this) and whenever i section a car, all you have to do is have it inspected by the DOT. as long as you have receipts for everything there won't be any problems at all. the reason they do inspections is to check for stolen parts. i have never had any problems with insurance, police, or the state. as long as you have nothing to hide, you don't have to be worried. if you really need to replace a lost title, you can have it bonded also. just go down to your local courthouse and talk to the county recorder.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 PM

so if i buy a frame with a clean title i can throw any motor(with a non-stolen VIN lol) on it and it will still pass inspection?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:08 AM

don't know about nebraska, but in iowa, yes. as long as you have legit receipts for EVERYTHING and/or prove ownership. i think the easiest way to find out, would be to talk to a local body shop (one that does builders) and find out who does the actual inspections in your area and what is required.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 PM

I dont understand your dilema. If you have a frame with a title that your going to be rebuilding why do you need to have it inspected? Just register the bike on the title you have and your done. Why does anyone need to know you only bought it as a frame?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 AM

In almost all states the frame IS the car or bike. Some states like New York, Colorado andCalifornia (with nasty emissions laws) have made it illegal to transplant an engine into a vehicle that is older than the vehicle itself. I found it hilarious to realize that myMidnight Virago (the part that actually has the VIN stamped on it)is actually about 24" long and 6" wide. They have really tiny stamped sheetmetal frames. Everything else just bolts on to that part.So as long as the VIN on the frame matches the VIN on the title(and none of it was stolen) youshould begood to go.