CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Leaking Carbs!! Please Help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Carbs!! Please Help me out!

Hey guys,

Exhausted my options, I have cleaned my carbs twice and made sure the needle valves were all clean and not stuck and my carbs are still leaking, the funny thing is with my petcock on one setting the carbs leak without the engine running (they leak from between the 3rd and 4th carb). I wiggled the tubes and it seemed to slow up a bit. with my petcock on another setting, the carbs dont leak but the engine will only run with choke and will die when i give it any more gas. I left it on the setting with it leaky and turned it off when (I did this by accident) and when I came back, the bike was hydrolocked. I pulled the 2 and 3 spark plugs and aired it out. started up great.

I need to get the carbs to stop leaking and I cant have this thing hydrolock on me on the road.. i dont want to bend a rod. any ideas would be great. please give me feedback! the engine only has 14k on it and the carbs seem to be in excellent condition.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 AM

I had similar issues with my F2 carbs. I replaced the needle valves and still had leaking. I had to replace the plastic floats to finally solve the problem. The floats can sag/bend over time if the carbs are not kept full by using the bike. The float valves are hard rubber and can harden up with age. The petcock may be leaking as well. Mine leaked I replaced that too. If you are leaking between carbs, you need new o-rings as well. Parts are available online.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 AM

Rebuild your petcock

Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Could these really cause that bad of flooding in my engine though..? I mean its literally filling the cylinders up with petrol..

Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Does the vacumn line running from the petcock have fuel in it?? If it does you need to rebuild the petcock.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM

ill check it, but that still doesnt solve my leaking issue

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I've ripped the vacuum petcock crap out and have a straight gravity petcock. If your floats aren't warped and your float valves are good and the valve seat isn't gummed up, they will never leak, even with the petcock on. The vacuum petcock is a bandaid, it just prevents you from leaking out a full tank of gas if your carbs go.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM

It sounds like the fuel tube between the carbs is leaking. It's a plastic tube so it will go bad. I think you'll need to separate the individual carbs to fix this.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:36 PM

You were close! It was the fiel line clamps! Got the leak taken care of! Now i took apart the petcock and it seemed to be okay! The diaphrams were a little distorted but i heated the plastic and got it seated correctly! I got the leak yo stop but now im having really rough idle. I cleaned all the jets up so i dont know whats wrong! I may be running very lean.. But why were my cylinders taking on gas if i just needed clamps?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:37 PM

you fixed the petcock problem. This keeps gas from overloading your float valves when you aren't running. The rough idle could be too much gas getting past your floats. The fuel pressure for the carbs is on the order of 1 to 2 lbs of pressure. It is just a gravity fed system. When using a remote tank for tune ups you have to make sure the tank is not too high above the carb bank, or it will push fuel past the valves. The floats themselves are plastic and prone to bend if the bike sits empty for long. Then they don't provide enough pressure on the float valve. The floats are non-adjustable. I replaced mine and had no more flooding problems.

Quick Reply: Leaking Carbs!! Please Help me out!